Thread: WinXP Problems / Solutions

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3

WinXP Problems / Solutions

Yes, I know most of you hate XP, but for those of you who do use it I found this and thought it might be a good reference. I have XP on two of my machines and like it just fine.

Anyway, this is a comprehensive list of common XP problems along with several possible solutions for each problem. Like I said, this really is a good reference document (very thorough) -- it's worth a bookmark if you're running XP.

Here is the link.

Here is just a tiny peek:
    Problem: When I log off in XP Pro and shut down my computer and then reboot XP opens to the desktop of the Admin Account instead of the welcome screen.

Possible Solution: From Doug Knox – Microsoft MVP: Click Start, Run and type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes, and hit enter. Check the box to require a password.

Problem: Is there an easy way to change the drive letters? For example, instead of having a CD drive be defaulted to E:, have it always map to G:?

Possible Solution: Go to Administrative Tools>Computer Management and on the left pane you will
    see Disk Management. Right-click your CD ROM drive and change it to the appropriate drive letter. http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q307/8/44.ASP

Problem: I have connected the network wire to both computers and installed the correct drivers for the network cards but I am still getting the message "A Network Cable Is Unpluged". Does this mean I have a break in the network cable?

Possible Solution: From Kent W. England - MicroSoft MVP: Likely you are using a standard cable (called a "straight-thru" cable) that is designed to connect a computer to a hub. You need a non-standard cable (called a "crossover" cable) to connect a computer to a computer. You can find these at your local computer hardware store.
    Your network adapter will register as "unplugged" until BOTH computers are turned on.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Thanks mathgirl32 for the info
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

Wow, great info mathgirl.....
    You could also try http://www.windowsxp.nu for any questions or just some cool stuff =]

P.S.: I have a great repair tool for Windows XP, it's called Windows PE [Preloader Edition] it is the version of windows major companies [Dell, Gateway, etc] run before they install the actual Windows OS, it is mostly a pre-setup environment but it does have a few useful features... PM me for more info =]

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I'm glad you guys like the site. I found it quite by accident and ended up spending like thirty minutes there. So, I thought I would share.

Thanks, Sevari, that's a nice link!

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery