Thread: Recording firms ask to scan university computers

Recording firms ask to scan university computers

Recording firms ask to scan university computers

Taken from:-

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...330603596.html

Well, interesting read, it's happening in Australia too.

Dr_Evil

Recording companies have asked the Federal Court to allow their computer experts to scan all computers at the University of Melbourne for sound files and email accounts, so they can gather evidence of claimed widespread breaches of copyright.

In Sydney yesterday, the companies - Festival, Sony and EMI - reached agreement with the University of Sydney and the University of Tasmania to preserve the files as evidence. The universities have not agreed to hand over the information.

Counsel for the companies, Mr Tony Bannon SC, said industry studies of piracy had found public institutions such as universities and libraries were the biggest repositories of unlawful sound recordings.

The industry has claimed unauthorised music swapping has contributed to an 8.9 per cent fall in music sales in the past year.

The University of Melbourne, which is opposing the recording companies' application for preservation and access, said it had cautioned two students about inappropriate material the MP3 sound files and had disabled the links to record from their personal web pages. It said there was no indication that any copying has been undertaken.

One of the student's web pages had a list of his top 15 songs, with the following invitation: "These are my favourites and here are the links to my MP3 file."

Justice Brian Tamberlin asked: "Where did he get them from?"

Mr Bannon: "I don't know."

"Where are they stored?" asked the judge.

"That's another thing we don't know," was the reply.

Mr Bannon argued the companies should have access to email accounts, as evidence of an email with an MP3 attachment would prove that copying and transmission had occurred. He said one of the students had 500 MP3 files.

Mr Bret Walker, SC, for the University of Melbourne, told Justice Tamberlin that the present proceedings were punitive, and the university opposed everything in principal.

The hearing was adjourned to Friday, and the judge refused to issue an interim order for the university to preserve the files until then.

Banned
    if we can't have free music what will we listen to?
    let us share our knowledge and our mp3's and some of our p0rn too.
    the courts have got this all wrong, it's out of control.

Yeah that's true freedom of information. I don't exactly remember the Sydney laws anymore, but over here in the US a case like that would be found justifible anymore. I mean look at that one oldies rock band that went around trying to figure out who used Napster and sue them for money lost on royalties.

The fact of the matter is, the companies aren't hurting that much form MP3, because of all the fans that still go out and buy the actual CD's (because not everyone rips MP3's right anymore it seems). Though rather than be happy with that, they want to be money hungry and show they have power and go after anyone they can. They probably just figure they can pick on Aussie better because the people aren't as agressive as the US. It's stupid, let the people have their MP3's, and if you loose that one fraction in sales because of it, STOP WHINING! That's the bottom line in my opinion.

< sorry for the spelling errors >
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

You would think the music industry would have realized by now people want to, and are going to download music. It's just more convenient, but they have yet to implement any way for download transactions to take place. Maybe a paid subscription to a p2p network that is reasonably cheap. Right now they are just content with busting a couple of kids in college and shutting down p2p networks which just repear in a different form. I think they need to start thinking foward.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"