Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with German law?

What is the deal with German law?

Don't get me wrong, I am not trashing Germany here, just asking a question about the society.

Apparently, in Germany, the penalty for being an accessory to murdering a single American is 1.825 days in prison.

Less than 2 days per victim!!!!!!!

You can reach this figure by multiplying 365 days by 15 years, and then dividing by 3000(approximately the number killed on Sept 11, 2001 in terrorist attacks against WTC and Pentagon).

In the US, being convicted of accessory to murder for a single victim carries a much stiffer penalty than that.

What is it about German law which makes a 15 year maximum sentence for 3000 counts of accessory to murder make sense?

Would it be different if the victims were German as opposed to American?

How in the world does this type of maximum penalty make sense?

I am not suggesting that this dirtbag be given the death penalty(AFAIK Germany doesnt have one anyway), just some stiffer sentence than 15 years of 3 squares and a cot, and cable tv.

Although I wouldnt hesitate to pull the lever myself if he was given the death penalty.

I full agree the sentence seems extrmely light. I think at one time the prosecutors considering going for death but behind the sense discussions changes there minds. I would be much more satisfied with Life w/o parole. At 28 in 15 yrs he will be 43 -still plenty of time to plan/assist/commit another terriositic assulat.

Cheers,

-D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

It's been several years since I lived in Germany but......I'm 99% certain that they don't have a death penalty over there. I seem to recall there being a big stink under the SOFA (staus of forces agreement) when an American soldier commited a murder on a German citizen. As I recall, the Germans wanted to try him and not release him to U.S. authorities because they were afraid the U.S. would ask for the death penalty and that would be "uncivilized".

Like I said, it's been years, so I could have a couple of my facts foggy.

even if they dont give the death penalty the person in this instance i believe got off extremely (too) lightly .. a couple of life sentences would have suited perhaps

Actually 15 yrs i think is the maximum one can get in germany...you can't stop progress...
    assembly.... digital dna ?

To become a member of the EU you have to abolish the death penalty ,a little more civilized if you ask me. Considering the amount of innocent people who have been executed or almost executed (not to mention the obvious racial inequality on deathrow in some countries).Two wrongs don't make a right.

This, my dear friends, is what happens when the rights of the murderers outweighs the rights of the victims or the victims families. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Can we dispense with the trite rhetoric, bugs? There are other alternatives to giving a horrendously weak sentence and the death penalty, you know....

Sometimes it seems to me that everyone can't see the forest for the trees.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Trite rhetoric ,you are the one who wraps him self in the american flag and says everyone else is wrong ,killing is wrong anyway you look at it and that is the general opinion of most every civilized country on this earth ,even some states have moratoriums on death row bacause of the amount of innocent(or black) people convicted do they deserve to die just because they were convicted yet they are innocent ,I agree it is a weak sentence for what the guy did .but no one deserves to die .

When did I say anyone deserved to die.

I stated that there is quite a distance between a weak ass sentence and the death penalty. i know I'm asking allot for you to pay attention but the world would be a better place if more people did.

My point of view is that the sentence is quite weak, never did I say Germany should put him to death. As far as I am concerned he should extradicted to the U.S. to serve his sentence here. But he does not deserve to live, either.

Until you've had one of your loved ones ripped from you like those people on 9/11 don't pretend to understand, it's quite insulting.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

by calling my post trite rhetoric ,and other posts im to lazy to dig up i figured you agree with the death penalty , (supporting a war , the ultimate in death penaltys for civilians and combatants ) canadians were killed in the wtc too