Land of the free?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Land of the free?

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    16 year olds can't buy beer or cigarettes either. Guess us americans and our freedoms are just full of ****. /sarcasm

Banned
    16 years old doesn't know anything better. He is just an teenager and sent back to home because other people got worried about him since the majority of students are arab, you know, they are known for terrorism.

Who knows what could be gone wrong there. I don't see anything bad if he asked to remove the T-Shirt or go home.

He wear that T-Shirt because it is a land of free and choose to go home because he was smart because he don't want to get in trouble, students do lot of stupid things all over the world specially teenagers.

16 year olds can't buy beer or cigarettes either. Guess us americans and our freedoms are just full of ****.
    There are good, solid reasons why underage kids can't buy alcohol and cigarettes. Whereas the reasons here are more subjective. Of course it is going to look suspect when a kid at a school is told to go home because he is wearing a t-shirt expressing views which oppose those of his government. The shirt isn't patently offensive, or vulgar, or racist, and it almost seems that the school is overreacting.

I thought it would have been far more inflammatory to the Arab-American community of the school if he had worn a shirt promoting Bush and his policies, rather than vice-versa. I wonder if he would have been ordered to take a pro-Bush t-shirt off?

However, there are probably more appropriate ways to express your opposition to the policies of your government than wearing a t-shirt that brands him an 'international terrorist' (not that he isn't )

since the majority of students are arab, you know, they are known for terrorism.
    Hey, of course. Couldn't agree more. I'm glad you pointed this important fact out

Banned
    yes i'm an arab.
    an because of that i will blow up all your houses.....

that's utter crap pplz

dam stupid public

Why don't they just require all the students to wear a suit and tie?
    That way they would not have to discriminate between which T-
    shirt is offensive.

T-shirts are not appropriate school attire.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Hello,
    Dearborn Michigan is a center of over 300,000 Arab Americans and 50%/17000 of the public school population is Arab American. Since 9/11 tensions have been high in all regions of the US. This region in particular has special concerns about this type of expression. It is not hard to see why the school administration would take such a hard line in this way. One can easily see that a by-product of such expression could be riots, violence and the like.

I do not in any capacity support censorship of expression. The school board in Dearborn which is publicly elected, I am sure will take up this issue. I do ask that someone who is so ready to question the freedoms of the US take a more then cursory look at this reported t- shirt issue. The question of how to balance public safety with freedom of expression is a tough issue that many societies have had to deal with. To say that the US is the only country to have dealt with this issue in this way is ignorant. To question freedom in the US based on this one issue is a classic sweeping generalization. Instead of finger pointing, please tell us how to properly handle this situation. This is MHO. Thanks.

Captfb
    [glowpurple]\"I like to think of myself as a sensitive inteliigent person with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most important times.\" Jim Morrison[/glowpurple]

Kids aren't allowed to wear cigarette or alcohol ads either, but I don't see how that infringes on their right of self-expression, you can go home change into whatever clothes your parents are willing to ignore and suffer the consequences then. Especially nowadays theschools #1 priority is to secure the safety of the children who attend, they also know that school is no place for inciting anger and improper politcial debates. The shirt had one purpose, to piss people off. Liek isaid you can always go home and change into it, but school is for learning ont starting riots.

Being that they haven't reached the age of majority their parents are responsible for whatever trouble they may get into, so if anything did happen the consequences should fall squarely on the shoulders of the kid's parents. IMHO

This has little to do with the land of the free. Children don't have many of the same rights that adults do, for good reason. I fail to see your point here, C0nf1rm3d.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Sorr to disagree, 16 yrs old kids are not cows to be told what to do/think/eat till they turn 18 and then be on their own...
    Their are entitled to their opinions and the way they choose to express it as long as it isn't y illegal means. There ahs been other examples where teens where not listened to and we all know the results.

Also, i wonder about the future amalgam of arabs and terrorists, it becomes almost interchangeables in some people's opinions. please get your terminology straight.
    assembly.... digital dna ?

Where did I say 16 year old kids are cows? I was once 16, not too long ago at that. I quite remember having not too popular opinions. I wsent against the grain. That's not at issue here, nabylbt. What is at issue is the fact the school has a responsibilty to protect all of the students at that school. They would not allow someone to walk in with a t-shirt with Jesus on itand the words "Homegrown terrorist" on it.

I liken this to screaming "fire" in a crowded theatre. Or spraying pepper spray into a crowded nightclub.

Terrorist and arab are not interchangeable words. And my terminology is not mixed up.

Like I said when you are on YOUR time go ahead and incite as much anger and angst as you want. But when you are at school you are there to get an education, not to try and piss off as many people as possible.

And threatening by using Columbine or whatever as an example is pointless. As a parent, myself, the responsibilty for that falls directly on the kid's parents, IMHO. Those parents should've known what thier kid's were involved in, they "fell down" on their job.

"But he was such a quiet boy, he'd never hurt anybody...." that's all too played out for my taste.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson