Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Code Has No Bugs

Smile Microsoft Code Has No Bugs

h_orion writes "According to Mr. Gates, Microsoft recieves 'Less than one percent' call volume in relation to bugs. He also blames the users lack of knowledge as a cause of some of these bugs. He goes on to say that the feeling of frustration that people hold towards bugs is a sociological issue, rather than technical saying that people complain about software bugs 'Because it's cool.' Read more in this interview." Boy, where do you even begin...
    http://www.cantrip.org/nobugs.html <-- the FOCUS Magazine Interview with Bill Gates
    http://slashdot.org/articles/03/02/1...id=109&tid=128 <-- where I got the quote from

This was from 1995 and I doubt that Bill would be caught making those kinds of statements today.

It turns out Luddites don't know how to use software properly, so you should look into that. -- The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs. It's absolutely not. It's the stupidest reason to buy a new version I ever heard. When we do a new version we put in lots of new things that people are asking for. And so, in no sense, is stability a reason to move to a new version. It's never a reason.
    With statements like this I wonder if this should go in the humor forum.

haha, its not even likely that M$ came out with someting with no bugs

M$ rushes everything they make just so they can have more money, and then even more money when you have to go out and buy a patcg for their stuff up.
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

He said in that interview that no one would buy a piece of software that was just bug fixes, but I thought that's what patches were supposed to be for, to fix a piece of software that you paid for so that it will work properly. I guess they don't think that way at Microsoft. It doesn't even seem like they address the known bugs in their next version, they just add more "features."
    HaLCy0n

\"Press any key to continue, or any other key to quit.\"

At the heart of the issue is MS's need to include 5000 features in a piece of software. Because, as you know, a piece of software that has 5000 features (with only 100 that work properly) is by far better than a piece of software that 200 features(but they all work properly).

Consider to whom they are selling the vast majority of software. These are the same people who think it's a huge difference to pay $2.99 for something rather than $3.00 for the same thing.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

they probably get such a high rate of calls that only 1% is about bugs.. (which is probably like ten million) and the others are about blue screens, illegal operations and software questions

Which is the fault of the hardware, NOT, I repeat NOT the problem of the software, right?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

If microsoft products dont have bugs, i suppose that would make the WindowsUpdateSite a little dedundant

if thats the case why does IE come with link in the Tools menu to the windows upodate site, and why do they have to release patches to fix bugs that dont exist?

Yea KorpDeath, and I'm sure if you just went out and purchased all new hardware it'll work just fine, I mean, M$ would NEVER think of putting money first over their loved customers. . right? hee hee. .. sorry couldn't even type it with a straight face.
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Absolutely, techtech, I couldn't read either of our posts without chuckling.
    - Samuel Johnson

well the article was from 95 as cwk9 said, back then when windows 3.11 was mainstream, sure it had bugs just not nearly as many as versions of windows that now exsist, different products in different markets, come now give the greedy **** a break
    what is love but contempt for hate?