Thread: trila version security

Angry trila version security

I am new to the group, look forward to participating where I can.

have had a pretty terrible week.
    last Friday my software program that has been availiable for download on our website for the last 5 years was Cracked. and the crack plus the direct link to my software .exe file, was availiable on the warez sites

this crack fully enables my software - with the exception of the printer routine and reduced clipart libraries

I used SoftSentury for packaging initially,

I know the first suggestion would be to forget the trial download situation - but we have been sucessfull with the try before you buy method, and solves any
    refund situations.

I tried ASProtect - but found out lot's of tutorials available on how thier cracked
    looking at Alladdin or ealladdin - the prestige suite with a bundled program called Usage Builder, i have not found any advers information on them
    ALSO looking at this token arrangement that uses the usb port

I am looking for suggestions, for packaging our downloadable trial version that either has not been reverse engineered previously or any unique tips and funtions to add for extra security

thanks

ian

Will re- phrase my original question

Is there a way to make a trial version absolutely expire! – by this I mean totally stop after 30-days, presently our software would allow us to convert the trial to the full version and have recently decided on the USB hasp idea for existing software users.

I still require having a downloadable trial – just want it to be absolute in it’s expiry

any suggestions?

Can't you make the prog del it's self after the trial is up? I mean even then it could be cracked, but as for what seems to be your main question.. Yeah. Just have it deleted when it's through.

What about "crippleware"? I don't know the answer to your question but if the trial only ran a few select features and you had to buy it for the full download, might this be an option?? My (uninformed) opinion is that people will pay for a good product and those that steal from you wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I look forward to seeing how your problem is agreeably resolved
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Yeah, please let us know what you come up with.

thanks for the comments, will follow up with findings.

We are a small outfit and relied heavily on the security software that we purchased for securing, wrapping our EXE and timing out the trial

I have recently researched 5 other software programs to do provide this function
    ALL have been compromised recently.

The crackers just disabled the call to the DLL in various locations within our program. and open she was!

I like the Hasp (dongle – hardware) solution for licensed users and that should provide some comport for the time being

Have the trial version of the program load an important data-file from an internet site every time it's launched - so it won't work without it. Have it transmit a node-id (which can be got somehow), and the server store it in a database.

30 days after it first sees the node-id, the server stops sending the vital file.

For people who aren't connected to the internet, offer to send them a cd-rom version by post.

That won't stop the crackers, but discourage them

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hi iancc. I really recomend the HASP. We have a hasp here at work for one of our aplications, and it is a way to solve your problem. Just be aware though, that people with minor electronical skills can easily make their own HASP. At work we tried our own HASP and it actually worked. Not many people are aware of what a HASP is, if i didnt see it myself, i would have never known. Its a nice solution, but you will still not be 100% safe from users using your aplications without paying. Its still a good idea though. Try it and let us know about your solution.

Good luck. Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"