Thread: Windows 2000 Printers

Unhappy Windows 2000 Printers

In windows 2000 when you install a printer it sticks to the user profile its installed in.. (does not populate other user profiles).

This is a pain because it means you have to install the printer for each existant profile.

I know you can copy the profiles over each othe but this is not an option.

Does anyone know a way to install a printer for every profile on windows 2000 ?

use vbscripts or batch files that are run on startup (you can set those up for all users)
    the scripts can check for updates (like printers, etc) and update if necessary...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Not an option

I did think of doing that. The problem is that the user base here is 250 and its only to be used for 25 machines.

The users of these machines are not realted i.e not grouped.

It has to be done at the machine or ?

Mark_boyle2002,
    Are you using active directory within this network? If so there are a few ways to do this. Please reference this article

M$ article

I hope this helps.

Captfb
    [glowpurple]\"I like to think of myself as a sensitive inteliigent person with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most important times.\" Jim Morrison[/glowpurple]

No Use

As I explained the users machines that have to use this printer are not grouped and neither are the users

Cheers anyway.

Sorry, next time I will read your posts more carefully! There must be a local hack or setting that can force this!
    [glowpurple]\"I like to think of myself as a sensitive inteliigent person with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most important times.\" Jim Morrison[/glowpurple]

What I have tried

I tried fudging the registry. This doesn't work because all the keys for the users printers are punted out to ntuser.dat files.

I tried different logon script angles but this won't work due to the printer being interdepartmentally and hence interusergroup shared.

Any other suggestions welcome.

maybe you could use a script and install it on only the machines that the printers will be used... then stick them in the startup folder... make sure they check to see if the printer is installed, then run the printer install process... that's just an idea for a work around... maybe this helps?

-take it easy
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...