Thread: whos on wireless??

Question who's on my wireless??

I found myself in a coffee shop yesterday here on campus and I was talking with the owner, hes doing a bunch of remodeling to the place. At this time it dawned on me, more and more people are using the internet and have laptops on campus. Well I want to make a proposal to him to put in wireless into his coffee shop ( as this is the main reason go to the starbucks instead, it has wireless) but I was curious about something when I was thinking about this. I know you can you sniffer programs to find wireless routers and the such but....

what if I wanted to know how many people were connected to my wireless router at once? Not taking the time to guess with dhcp pools and the such. Are there any programs out there that allow this or would there be some form of simple code that could be written to figure this out? Any insight on this topic would be appreciated...

Thanks
    -Spy
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Most wireless hubs come with software to manage attached users already. You can see their MAC address, IP addy, etc. etc.

One of the security measures that can be taken with wireless equipment is to lock them down so that only the MAC addresses you provide can connect. A simple yet, quite effective way of keeping the average war-chalker from attaching and using your inet connection.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Here's a nice article and a springboard for any more questions you might have on beefing up security on a wireless router. I knew I watched a story about it on TechTV.

"The wardrivers of the world are reporting that some 60 percent of the networks that they find actually do not have the most basic wireless encryption protocol installed on their networks."

read the whole story here...
    http://www.techtv.com/news/internet/...402477,00.html
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

I know how to lock it down using mac address authentication and using WEP but I was just curious about different programs to monitor how many people were on and so forth. It would most likely be for a linksys router
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here