Thread: DVD-copying

$10,000 for information ?

I wuz wondering will this work!

What do you think , guys?

DVD-copying startup puts bounty on pirates

In an odd twist in its fight against Hollywood studios, start-up 321 Studios is offering a reward for information about people who use its products to illegally copy DVDs.
    The company last week began offering [gloworange]$10,000 [/gloworange] for information that leads to the conviction of people who use its software to pirate movies.

The major studios sued 321 last December, saying the company promotes copyright infringement by offering products that allow people to copy DVDs. Specifically, the suit claims 321 is violating the Digital Millenium Copyright Act by selling its DVD Copy Plus and DVD-X copy programs.

321 says it merely provides a product that will allow people to make backups of DVDs they already own, a practice that has been protected under a legal doctrine known as fair use.

The company said it's committed to preventing illegal copying and uses technology that prevents consumers from duplicating copies of DVDs made with its software. People who want to report abuse of the software can e-mail 321 at AntiPiracy@321studios.com.

"While we believe consumers should have the right to make perfect, personal-use backup copies of DVDs they already own, we are against the illegal use of our products," Mike Wozniak, chief information officer of 321 Studios, said in a statement. "Therefore, we want to work with the entertainment industry and the government to prevent piracy, while continuing to protect, support and preserve consumers' fair use rights and technical innovation."

Movie studios, record labels and other intellectual property owners have been aggressively pursuing companies that make it easy for consumers to copy and share digital materials. The intellectual property owners are worried about losing control of their movie, music, books and software because digital content can be so easily copied and shared via the Internet. The studios in particular are trying to avoid the "Napsterization" of their movies.

A few years ago, the record labels were caught off guard when millions of people began swapping unauthorized copies of songs through the Napster network. Although the labels succeeded in shuttering Napster, the file-swapping frenzy continues through other services.

Meanwhile, the companies that have become the target of such legal actions have urged studios, labels and law enforcement to pursue the people who are actually creating the illegal copies, not the makers of the technology that allows them to do so.

321's legal saga began well before the studios filed suit. Last spring, the company took pre-emptive action, asking a judge to declare its copying products legal. 321 feared it could be targeted by the studios after reading news accounts in which the Motion Picture Association of America threatened to sue it for offering copying products.

taken from:-

That's funny, Roxio can go and sell their software and it's ok. Microsoft can even take Roxio's software and integrate it into a new version of a product that 98% of all computer users use, and it's ok. But they go after this DVD company? Kind of reminds me how CD-Burners were like outlawed in the US when they first came out, now they are in everyone computer you buy, or and can buy the newest fastest speed for like $30 after a $20 mail in rebate. LOL, so funny, another good artical that should have been in tech humor! Good post though, love knowing htere are still stupid people in the world.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!

This type of lawsuit frenzy makes about sense as gun laws.

Here's my reasoning....Who are the people you need to fear getting their hands on guns, law abiding citizens or criminals?

The only people that gun laws hurt are the people who follow the laws anyway. The criminals don't give a flying rat's ass what laws they are breaking.

If Joe Shmuckwants to copy his DVDs, that his business, he's not stealing anything from anybody. On the other hand if he copies his DVDs to sell on the black/grey market then by all means sue the hell out him. I'm quite sure that the people selling illegal copies of DVDs in China and most, not all, of the Asian nations are doing more harm than some Joe Shmuck who wants to keep his DVDs from gettin accidentally ruined by his dog or kids or whatever. Where's the holy crusade to stop these blatant criminals?

If you don't want copies made of your **** then don't produce it. Fair enough?

Eh, the entertainment industry is a bunch of whores anyway.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I think Hollywood, and the RIAA are going to get a dose of reality REAL soon. Hee hee hee, what they expect, a bunch of "Artists" against hardcore techno-geeks...Here's the REAL battle of the millenium! Sorry Hollywood, get over yourselves! It's not like your producing anything worth keeping safe anyway!
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

The same thing going over again... A new technology allows people to copy dvd's and the entertaintment industry starts complaining. I agree with the fact that an average citizen should be allowed to copy their dvd's. I didn't see anyone complain a few years back when you could have two VCR's and make copies of your videos. Therefore there is nothing illegal with you copying your own dvd's without intending to sell them. I see the same analogy with mp3's/cassette tapes....
    New technologies has made it possible for anyone to copy easily digital media, wich is very good but unfortunately many countries (like mine) is thriving with piracy and copies that look like ****, this people are the real criminals.
    When are the recording and film industries gonna learn that you can't stop the flow of technology just because you want to make more money.
    The only way to stop pirates is to lower cd and dvd prices so that there is no need to make illegal copies.