yet again..another end-user strikes

Thread: yet again..another end-user strikes

yet again..another end-user strikes

ok. . I'm sorry, I just couldn't believe what happened. Ok. Background, I work @ an elementary school. Many teachers, not too many computer people. (Basically it's me and a voulenteer.)

Now to the event.
    We got this shipment of computers. One by one, the power supply's are popping, No biggie, I call the company, they replace the PS for free. (Hey, they're cheap parts, they can do the manual labor!) About three day's ago. I get this teacher who calls me from her classroom....near tears. (Yea, I think you know where it's going)

Her ps popped, and smoked a little (they'll do that) so what did she do? She soaked the whole thing with the fire extinguisher. I wish I had my digi, I wouldv'e taken a pic.

Then she has the nerve to ask me. . .Do you think the computer will be ok.

I took it apart, and nothing got into the actual box, so I think it's gonna be ok. But we definetly had a discussion on paying attention to technology memo's. Where I had already warned teachers about this problem, and what to do if it happened! AARRG!
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Well, just for you......Revenge of the End User! I have actually blown some of these photos up and shown them to users to demonstrate that technical people think that what they do is funny. It usually works, most of them take the hint.

Banned
    This isn't too related but speaking of hardware, a buddy of mine at work "jimmied" a hub so that the power (12v's) went to the ports. so if it's on its own it's fine but as soon as you hook a computer up to it. POW. nic's blown, board, video, ram. poof all fried. so he put it in the computer garbage bin out back. (we work at a computer store) there was someone rummaging through it at night. so the next day the hub was gone and we haven't seen it since. I wonder if anyone used it?

Heheh, yeah that's funny. And techtech you should have added about the user you talk to today that works at your school. Asking if you need a DVD-ROM to use a DVD. Users are exactly that anymore, users.

I know I've said it before relating to how we all get labelled as "hackers", but the end user doesn't care. If it takes them time to learn about it, they won't, they dont give a flying crap as long as they know who to turn to when the damn thing doesn't work. Just like the teacher with techtech, she turned crying because the computer didn't work. Not thinking that maybe she might have added to the possibility of it not working (the teacher that is). Somehow we need to educate these people, or figure out how to build user manuals for the admins so they can deal with the damn users. LOL
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Banned
    I dont think that the end-user will ever learn. companies and schools will just have to hire the right people that can deal paitently with the users. at my store there is the tech guy, and the sales guys. we know not to get the customers anywhere near the tech guy because the customers dont like getting made fun of.

heres three different types of people
    1: people who can interact with people but not computers
    2: people who can interact with computers but not people. and
    3: people who can interact with both.

sometimes it takes a lot of patience to deal with illiterate people but patience is a virtue and therefore an asset which makes people like me more valuable to companies that have to interact with computers and people. patience people.....patience