Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you read the site FAQ??

actually, the FAQ does say that if you have a grey dot that you have an even AP score so to speak, but dont read everything you hear, cause from experience, you stay grey from 0 until -50 AP's anything over -50 (inlcusive) and you get a red dot. anything between, is a grey dot and anything over 0 is a green dot.

maybe it got changed after the GAQ was written
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

well, drew had "some" negative antipoints, say, 2 hours ago.
    I had checked myself. Some just means anything more than , say 30-40 or so.

-inv
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

I haven't read the FQA's myself, I've been picking everything up as I go. Then again I am not really a thread starter, mainly someone who just sits and makes posts off other interesting threads that I either know something about, or have strong feels for or against what is being talked about. Up to this point I've done alright, actually I just got my first neg just the other day for some views I had on MP3 sharing < hehe, thanks to whoever did that >. So far that works for me, and what I need to know I pick up from reading other posts or someone might tell me < thank you techtech! >. But like I said I'm not a thread starter < yet >, so I guess I really don't consider myself really hardcore and in worries of being negged all the time.

The website seems to be setup very logically and straight forward, that might be another reason why I never read the FQA's. (And I really don't care about AP points, as long as I'm not going red or starting to post bad)
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Banned
    just to let you all know i was at -57 and in the grey. i'm getting closer to zero now but it's a whole lotta hard work when paint and photoshop provide me with all the green dots i could need. isn't there more accurate information about these colored dot's? i don't think the FAQ goes into any sort of details at all.

paintshop might provide you with all the dots you want. but no-one on AO can see that and it definately wont mean anything if its just sitting as a file on your comp
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Banned
    what i meant was the color that shows up next to username will not dictate my actions here. i don't care if it's green or grey or a little red as long as i can still post and read posts. i'm here to read and learn and help out when i can.

Flash M0nkey
    nope don't think have ever read it - i may have skimmed thro it
    i've spent alot of times on these boards and others and i like to think that i don't do anything against what would be in the faq _that_ much

faq's are useful for those people who are new to a community but alot of time its also watching how people interact on the boards to find out whats going to exceptable and what ain't

v_Ln

To be honest.... I read some parts of the faQ....The ones about posting on the forum....And I also read about ANTI-POINTs....After I posted something stupid

Maybe AO should make a quiz or something for newbies like me.... They need to read the faq and answer the quiz.... If they fail they can try again in an hour or two...If they pass they gain the ability to....Post or something

Do you like my Idea?

Kwiep
    I never read the faq. Common sence and a bit of normall behavior is all you need. If I want to know something it's just normal to first search google or the boards before posting. I started with a green dot, went down to 3 red dots. I got those 3 red dots because people didn't agree with my political view, not because I posted bad posts. Now I have 6 green dots and I still didn't read the faq.
    What does the faq say anyways ? How not to post and what to post in wich forum ? I don't know, but those things all seem very obvious to me. When I had 3 dots there was a message at the main page about AO as a community didn't like my behaviour and I should read the faq. There was a little guy (jip) next to it sticking up his middle finger at me everytime I looked at the main page. I couldn't care less about that faq. If a website needs other "special" rules then just act normal, I don't need to be at that site. The internet is big enough, there are other sites.
    It's cool we have a faq to send newbies who do make wrong posts to. You won't see me help write one, because I think it's useless. If someone doesn't now to behave and can't find out himself a faq will only help in some very rare cases. Most of those people probably won't read the faq and just move on to another site. That's just the way it goes.
    Double Dutch

Re: Have you read the site FAQ??

i thought i would put it in the cosmos forum cause it really is a physilogical question.
    You're right TN123, it is indeed a psychological question.

Have you guys heard about Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)? Psychological type is a theory developed by Carl Jung and added by Isabel Briggs-Myers to explain some of the apparently random differences in people's behavior. MBTI reports your preferences on 4 scales, each consisting of 2 opposite poles. It indicates the differences in people that result from:
    - where they prefer to focus their attention (EI scale - Extraversion or Introversion)
    - the way they prefer to take information (SN scale - Sensing or iNtuition)
    - the way they prefer to make decisions (TF scale - Thinking or Feeling)
    - how they orient themselves to the external world (JP scale - Judging or Perceiving)

There are 16 possible combinations of those 4 preferences (from ESTJ through INFP), which means there are 16 different personality types. These types help us understand differences in people behavior. Note: While the names of some of MBTI preferences are familiar, in everyday use they have meanings that are different from their MBTI meanings. Remember:
    - Extravert doesn't mean talkative
    - Introvert doesn't mean shy or inhibited
    - Feeling doesn't mean emotional
    - Judging doesn't mean judgmental
    - Perceiving doesn't mean perceptive

OK, back to the original topic. MBTI is a general concept in psychology which can help us here understand why some people read faq before posting and some don't, I'll list down some characteristics in EI preferences:

Extraversion
    - Attuned to external environment
    - Prefer to communicate by talking
    - Learn best through doing or discussion
    - Breadth of interests
    - Tend to speak first, reflect later
    - Sociable and expressive
    - Take initiative in work and relationships

Introversion
    - Drawn to their inner worlds
    - Prefer to communicate by writing
    - Learn best by reflection, mental practice
    - Depth of interests
    - Tend to reflect before acting or speaking
    - Private and contained
    - Focus readily

So, what type are you? BTW, I'm INTP. And before bad things happen here, I want to stress this. Each type and each individual has special gifts. There is no right or wrong type, no better or worse combinations of types in work or relationships.

http://www.gsu.edu/~dschjb/wwwmbti.html
    http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm
    and as always, http://www.google.com

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds