Recommended server OS?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended server OS?

It's a gas!

Recommended server OS?

Im in a bit of a dilemma!

I have freeBSD installed a the minute on an old box which i was planning on using as my server OS but unfortunately, due to compatibility issues, ive had to rethink this!

So basically im looking for your opinions on a suitable OS which i can use!

I was looking along the lines of Windows 2000 Server, for compatibility issues only, but if anyone could give me a good alternative i would look into this.

Also does anyone use Windows 2000 Server, and if so whats the security like on this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Cheers

Free BSD makes a great server, sucks about compatibility, id say Open BSD or SuSe Linux server, or yea Windows 2,000 server if you need compatibility or somethin.

The Iceman Cometh
    What sort of server are you planning on running? As a Domain Server and File Server, Windows 2000 is great, and, after applying all of the updates, it's fairly secure. If you plan to run a web server using IIS, make sure you, once again, apply all updates and run Microsoft's IIS lock-down tool. Any other server applications you plan to run should also be patched accordingly. I am a big fan of Windows servers, but like anything, they can be either extremely insecure or extremely secure, depending on how much work you put into it.

AJ

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hi.

On my behalf, i recomend linux for server use. Its a very stable system, and if setup correctly is very secure. I recomend that you know your way round any OS really well before actually setting up a server. Its not only the server security that counts, but also the configuration of the OS security itself. I run only Linux servers, and so far im very happy with them. Just like any other OS, you have to make sure that all services and applications are upto date, and maintained that way. The only negative thought for using win2000 server is that you will need a computer thats not weak (hardware such as cpu, ram, etc...) and that it will install so many things that have no place on a server. With linux you can setup a minimum with just the essential aplications needed. You dont even need any form of GUI for that, and remote administration is very easy with linux. Also when it comes to costs, linux is a better solution. But then again, just like mentioned by the others here on AO, any server can be secured if you actually take your time to maintain it well. For example, www.runsecure.com has several servers running on windows 2000 computers, and that network is very secure. The admin there knows his way around windows very well, which helped to get that organization to a very secure level on the server field. I recomend that you use the OS and servers that you are more familiar with, but also if time and will alows it, learn linux and its server capabilities. Good luck with your servers, and if there is anything i can help you with, dont hesitate to pm me or ask me in here.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Yeah I'm a 2000 server user too (Advanced Server actually), works nicely. I've got cable, so I didn't mind doing the updates until Microsoft seemed to limit the bandwidth for Windows Updates to cable Internet user. But it works well for use as a DNS server a Web Server, and ok as an FTP server. I personally use Bulletproof for FTP, more options. Security wise, I never really had a problem. Like I said the FTP server never really gave me much options, but I think that was just in design. Everything else worked fine for what I needed it to.

I've tried using Linux (Redhat, etc) as a server, but I always had problems trying to network my Windows boxes to them. Plus I started having issues with trying to figure out how to work the damn thing. < I'm not THAT skilled with unix/linux yet either >

So that's my oppinion on your question.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

It's a gas!
    Thanx for the input guys.
    Im just gonna be using this server to provide internet access and file sharing to my other comps and also use it as a firewall.
    Im in two minds now really as what to do, i have BSD installed but on the other hand i have 2000 server available if i need it.

Instronics: I would be alot more competent with windows compared with *nix, so u think i should revert to using this OS?
    And thanks for the offer, you might regret it when i start pestering you!!!

Cheers again guys

LOL, it's all in pref man. If you do install 2000, I can for sure give you a hand anytime if you need anything. I actually have another 2000 computer as a backup I play with trying new server stuff out on <and can crash it whenever without worry>
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Kwiep
    Well I used openBSD as a routeing firewall thing and it was bulletproof as hell. Gentoo linux is cool to. Solaris (if you get it to run on yer x86 (?)). Windows 98 is uber. My windows 98 box is up for tha last few months and it never crashed or something . The stability and security of a server depends for 99% on the admins skill and being up to date. The remaining 1% is system failure or things like nuclear wars and lightning. If you just know what you're doing and look after bugs paches upgrades/updates you'll be fine whatever os you choose.
    Double Dutch

I recommend SuSE highly. It has an excellent record as well as compatibility being rarely an issue. It also helps simplify the job of locking it down if your not up on your security.

i was going to say to use some form of *nix to save moeny, but since you already have a copy of 2k server id almost be inclined to use that, but linux (redhat 8 for me) provides good file sharing and firewall / gateway stuff, but if youre on cable or something like that it may be easier to use windoze for the sake of configging the cable modem and software stuff