Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed up internet access??

Speed up internet access??

OK. I was looking through some programs when some caught my eye. They were claiming to speed up internet access. I was wondering if they actually can, and if so, which ones have the better increase. And also, how would one of these programs work?
    The only four things i need are food, water, a computer, and the internet.

The Iceman Cometh
    There are some programs that exist which simply change some registry settings (change the Windows TCP/IP Windows Size, MTU Settings, etc.). Others simply adjust how your computer interprets the data received from a web site. In my experience, none of them work. I've played around with a few (Internet Accelerator, Connection Tweaks in CustomizeXP, etc.), and have seen little to no results. If you're using a dial-up connection, the best way to speed it up is to go broadband, or get one of those dual-line modems (you connect to the Internet via two phone lines and the bandwidth gets split across them, giving you a theoretical throughput of 128 kpbs). If you want to give them a try, try some of the free ones, but don't bother spending money on one...

AJ

While i agree with avdven; there are some programs which can help you as they did helped me when i had dial up. These are the ones that speed up file transferences between your PC and any other host in the net... For example Download accelerator 5.0... yet; i would use stardownloader instead because it has no spywares and no advertices like DA5.0 ...
    you can download star Downloader form: http://www.stardownloader.com
    Well how do this work; for a complete reference on how the program works i would recommend you to read the FAQ (and the help files); but what the basically do is to fraction your download (generally into four packets); and download the four packets from different locations; thus gaining a better bandwith with every host... (assuming than more than one person is downloading the file from the site) .... Besides they have a resume option in case you'd like to download a large file in different moments...
    So to sum up; i would advice you to download star downloader or any similar prog; yet to pay no attention to progs like Internet Accelerator; or any prog mentioned by avdven...
    Hope this reply is usefull
    ampm
    \"Aclaró que un Aleph es uno de los puntos del espacio que contiene todos los puntos\"... (An Aleph is a point in space that contains every point)
    Jorge Luis Borges \"El Aleph\"...

There are some that claim this. They clear up memory leakage. One such program is RamBooster. It it pretty much a waste of space to me.

I tried internet accelerator today on dial-up, tried the three settings and actually lost speed until I uninstalled the program. There are ways that allow you to use the speed you have to full advantage and starloader was mentioned but I use DLExpert, free and small from www.majorgeeks.com. You can cache web pages which cuts down on the loading times but I look for things that load quickly and skip a lot of the slower sites, except this one. If you do find a way that works let me know!
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

most of the ones you see advertised are nothing more than spyware like alexa. before you download one check it out at a site like this:

http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Speeding up Dial up Internet Access. Well, for starters your only going to get 56.7k at top speed. Even the best, newest and most updated phone lines will only be able to top out around 56k. Now, usually this is not the case. Usually our phone lines are old, and we have to make the best out of our modem. Now, if you want a cheap trick, try setting your maximum modem speed to 115200 then giving your modem the init string AT&FX. That will cause DUN to display the max modem speed at ever connection. However, your speed will remain the same.

If you really want to do something about it, Clean up the Harddrive. Clean the registry. Get it all nice and defragged. Now your computer is running smoothly, lets see about that internet connection. First, the modem you get will greatly have a bearing on the quality of connection.
    You get a 12 dollar Lucent Win Modem or an HCF, your going to get a bad connection. Spring for the External US Robotics 56k Sportster. Thats going to be the most compatible and reliable modem, in my experience.

Now, if you go to www.modemhelp.net you will be able to find a slew of modem drivers, modem init strings ect.. These programs your downloading, dont do much different than the tech you would call at your ISP's Tech Support Center. Do it yourself. Forget the programs, they will only infest your computer with unwanted Ads. Any questoins about this, i can help if you PM.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Yeah, I'm with Jxrry59 on this one.... I tried download accelorator plus and I found that it didn't improve my download speed at all

My advice: Don't be lured in by their promises of faster internet... Just go get cable or T3

MTUSpeed 'helps' with Modem download speed. Default network MTU is 1500, and some routers only pass 576 (older ones - if I am not mistaken) MTUSpeed adjusts the modem MTU to 576, (thereby saving 924 non-data bytes) My old 56 modem increased from 2.6 to 4.5 kbytes . DR TCP may help also. (Ram boosters, memory enhancers, download doublers never seem to work) More physical memory works better.

Yep, I agree with *Dr Toker*. The first thing you have to do is clear up your system. In my own experience just doing this would help a lot. Never the less you could check this site
    And a other thing is, wich distro. Just this weekend switch to Linux Mandrake 9.0 . Before this I used MS XP. I have to say that I noticed an increase of speed. So you could try switching or a dual boot on your box to see the difference (or not)

Good luck
    Remember...the most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=298