Whats Assembly???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats Assembly???

Whats Assembly???

Hey Guys,

I actually know what assembly is.... Its a programming language that is really old... but still powerfull...Right?? Well, i got a few questions about it... so any help you can give would be great

#1. Is assembly a good "First programming language"??? I have started learning C++ but it is extreamly difficult.. Not to mention the "best" compiler is owned by M$

#2. Where can I find an Assembly compiler??? I have a C++ compiler...Visual C++ it cost me tons of $$$.. Will an assembly compiler cost just as much???

#3. Are there any assembly tutorials out there??? Wait.. stupid question (Ha! caught myself that time) There are some in the "Tutorials" section of the forums right? If their are any others that you recommend... plz inform me

Thanks alot for takin the time to read this post... And help a Newbie get into the game

#1. If you already know some basic programming with C++, you can learn Assembly but if you find C++ extreamly difficult I think assembly is not for you. In assembly you have to do all (if you want to write on the console you don't have a printf or cout function, you have to put parameters in some registers and the call an interrupt, if you call a function you have to put the parameters on th stack yourself, ...)

#2. You can take NASM, it's a GPL assembler (http://nasm.sourceforge.net/) or you have TASM, MASM, etc (http://biofizyka.agro.ar.szczecin.pl...semblerye.html)

#3. Yes there are (http://spiff.tripnet.se/~iczelion/). You have also a good tool call google.com (http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp...and_Tutorials/)
    http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone5/

also the dev bloodshed c++ compiler is free.

you can find it at : http://www.bloodshed.net/download.html

cheers
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

well for starters i stronly recommend not doing assembly as a first programming language, unless you have some knowledge of what components are in a cpu, also what they are known as in shorthand, which is what assembly uses (though i assume you know that), plus to print something in C++ you just use a cout statement, in assembly it would be many lines of code just to print one word, im not sure how you do it because ive only just touched on it at uni, but intend to learn a bit more about it

i fond java a bit easier than C++ actually but i'd already done C++ and since theyre the same i could adapt a bit easier, but i would suggest you have a go at java, maybe even some VB would be an option, if you have office or access you should have the VB runtime compiler so you can make a start with that if you like

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Below are some good threads for both finding assembly resources and writing an assembly program. You can download masm for free by following the links in one one the threads.

Even though there are a lot of good tutorials out there that really go into depth explaining assembly I wouldn't recommend thinking you "can write" assembly programs just because you are able to copy one from a tutorial and run it. If you know c++ well, then assembly won't be that difficult. Even then you really need to understand what is happeneing when you make your program and what the commands mean...what they really mean. If you don't "get" c++ then I would doubt that you'll "get" assembly. But, hey, no harm in trying....trying is a good thing. I think the main reason people don't "get" c++ (or assembly) is because they don't really understand it and to understand it you really do have to read the material not just copy programs. I found these links helpful, but still, to really understand I had to get a book, Assembly Language for Intel-Based Computers (4th Edition)
    by Kip R. Irvine. Here is a link to the book.

Anyway, good luck.

This thread.

Or this thread.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Kwiep
    It takes about 50-100 lines of code to display something decent on your screen... Go figure how much code it would take to write a little game of some sort. It's not a good language to start with. If you write something with it though, you can be pretty sure it's the fastest way it could be programmed, altough c++ comes close. c++ best compiler isn't owned by microsoft. Most part of the linux os is programmed in c or c++, for example.
    Double Dutch

Banned
    Fallowing up on what MrLeachy said:

I was told VB was a bad language to start on but now that im trying to move onto other languages im realizeing they were right.

I tried alot of things intil I started out on VB and now I hate it because VB is so easy that you become very lazy while playing in other languages it is so easy and user friendly that it's almost addictive, man. Pluse VB corrects some small things for you but alot of languages won't even bother doing that...

I haven't really played with Assembly much but I can say that it takes alot of code but it can compile into very small programs and like any other languages it can be usefull. Don't make the mistake of takeing the easy way out like I did though

C++ and assembly are both difficult.
    If you are looking for an easy language to work with, let the idea fade.
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

The Iceman Cometh
    If you are interested in learning Assembly language, some languages are easier than others. Most people start by learning 80x86 assembly (it's what Intel uses). MIPS assembly (using in RISC-based processors for things such as Palm Pilots, Sony Playstation 2, etc.) is much easier, with far less commands easier access to both the registers and the memory. If you are interested in trying your hand a MIPS programming and want a simulator, check out PCSpim. It's has great debugging features and it's completely free. If you use UNIX, you can get XSPIM from the same site.

AJ

Unlike most of the people here; I think that assembler is the perfect language to start with...
    Why? because it's what gives you the most idea of how things really work. While programming in assembler, you programm on such a low level that you have to make all by your-self; thus really understanding how things are done by a PC. Besides; if you want to programm some drivers or some fast (i mean really fast) small utility to control some hard you'll really need to know assembler. I sarted by learning assembler (Z-80's asm); and really recommend starting with it; because it helped me a lot when then studing C and it helped me to uinderstad the reall procesing of a machine. Starting with assembler is like starting with the concepts (and then when programming with a higer level lang understandig what's going on donw there).
    To sum up; i would fisrt learn some assembler (not from a very complex chip; cause they are all kind-of the same; so Z-80 or 8080 or peak or any other of that kind will really do well); and after that i would study some C... and afterwards if you still have some will to study; i would go into C++...
    Well; hope I helped you (didn't answer the other questions cause they are already answered in the posts above)...
    ampm2003
    \"Aclaró que un Aleph es uno de los puntos del espacio que contiene todos los puntos\"... (An Aleph is a point in space that contains every point)
    Jorge Luis Borges \"El Aleph\"...