Thread: Windows2000 security questions....

Hybrid View

Windows2000 security questions....

Hey fellas, i have few questions that have been bothering me.

Background: this is taking place on a windows2000 pro network(maybe server ed. not sure)

1. My friend downloaded a registry editing tool, (RegTickPro I believe..and yes its Tick). And it had an auto admin feature to it. To my surprise, he can log in w/ admin rights under the guest account. From there he deleted the existing password for Admin and picked his own, w/o even knowing the orginal password. Was their something in the registry that was changed in order for this to take effect? Because w/ my knowledge Guest accounts can not access the regedit/regedt32. However I did a google search and found some info on and autoadmin exploit. Though i didn't get much info. I was wondering if any of you guys know anything about this reg key/exploit.

2. This pertains to the above question. I wanted my friend to make an account w/ admin rights on my computer remotely. Because I can't install software w/ guest. So i told him to go to Computer Management and connect to my IP. Then from their go to local group/hosts tab(I forget the exact name of the tab) and from their create an account for me. However, under guest account he can create a guest account for me, though when he is logged in as Admin, he can not access that tab in computer management when connected to my computer. It won't let him, I forget the error and i'll try to find out the error tommorrow. Any ideas on any other ways to add an account remotely. I looked throught the "NET" (Specificly net user) commmands and there seems to be no feature to do so.

3. And do you guys know of any good tools to allow someone to change registry keys remotely. (and yes I know that "Remote Registry" must be a running service.)

Hey thanks a lot for the help. And I hope you dont' think i'm trying to hack this network, i just want to install Microsoft Dev Studio and maybe Macromedia Flash.

Thanks again fellas

Fusion

Special thanks to "thehorse13" for always helping me

Quote Originally Posted by br_fusion
    And I hope you dont' think i'm trying to hack this network, i just want to install Microsoft Dev Studio and maybe Macromedia Flash.
    Wouldn't it be easier to talk to your admin about it?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers