Drive Letters (XP)

Thread: Drive Letters (XP)

Drive Letters (XP)

How do you change drive letters in XP? My main drive is L and my backup is B (and I don't know who did that)

Changing Drive Letters in Windows XP?

When you add drives to your computer, such as an extra hard drive, a CD drive, or a storage device that corresponds to a drive, Windows automatically assigns letters to the drives. However, this assignment might not suit your system; for example, you might have mapped a network drive to the same letter that Windows assigns to a new drive. When you want to change drive letters, follow these steps:

Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
    Under Computer Management, click Disk Management. In the right pane, you’ll see your drives listed. CD-ROM drives are listed at the bottom of the pane.
    Right-click the drive or device you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the drive letter you want to assign, and then click OK.
    You will not be able to change the boot or system drive letter in this manner. Many MS-DOS-based and Windows-based programs make references to a specific drive letter (for example, environment variables). If you modify the drive letter, these programs may not function correctly.

Taken From: http://www.dougknox.com/tips/xp_drive_letters.htm

Also for more info: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q307844
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

eh.. i'll have to verify (i'm on win2k right now), but i'm pretty sure it's just like windows 2000. go start>run>"mmc"

click Console at the top, then Add/remove snap-in. click "add" on the next window that pops up, then select Disk Management. do the "ok" stuff or whatever, then open the node. right click on the drive, then click "Change drive letter and path".

[edit]debwalin, you posted just before me
    also, B: should be reserved for secondary floppy drives... [/edit]
    [edit2]and it seems Disk Management doesn't like the idea of you changing the letters of your boot or system partitions.[/edit2]
    i will shoot you so hard.

Either way will work. Loading up Disk Management in mmc is extra work for just one machine. Computer Management is a collection of snap-ins, including Disk Management.

debwalin's way is just a bit quicker.
    Put down the mouse......Step away from the keyboard!
    --Me

I think someone changed them, and I want to change them back.

I must have been wrong, that worked, but I can't get my main drive back to C:, because you can't change main/boot volumes... then how did it become L:?

Well here's the thing though, if "L" drive is your the drive Windows is running off of, you can't change that letter through Windows itself. I'm not sure if something like Partition Magic Boot (something) might work though? Because that happens before windows loads.

I had the same problem, well my slave drive was as C: and my main as D:, and it kept giving me errors when I tried changing the D: letter to anything. Food for thought.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

I have the same set up w/ mine Acid. My main drive is D: and my slave is C:. I don't really know how it happened, but when I installed XP, it arranged itself the way it wanted. I really should fix it one of these days, as I don't use what I have on C: anyway, but I'm too lazy and don't feel like backing up and burning all the mp3's etc that I have on my drives.

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

on my system i have 2 hdd. and if i install winxp with the secondary hdd powered on. it makes my primary c: and secondary d: and then my two cd roms. if i install winxp without power to the secondary, and once its installed i plug it back in. it them becomes the last drive f: (after the primary and two cd roms)

if you have a bunch on network drives, there is a good chance that windows picked up on these before anything else, making them a permanent (lower letter) drive. did this happen after you re-installed or installed, of did you just wake up one morning and see that it was all screwed??
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Had the same problem. I've solved it with a little help from M$

Just click [gloworange]here[/gloworange]

Now your on the technet of microsoft with clear instructions how to change your driveletters.

good luck
    Remember...the most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=298

If you change the drive letter of the HDD that has the windows (OS) may be some file won't be tracked from the OS as they set the address on the setup of the windows and you will have to re-install windows. I THINK.