Thread: TcpIp

Question TcpIp

I don't know if this is the right place for this or not. I bought a used dell laptop that looks and works good. It has windows 98 on it. I was downloading my IP setup. It said that the TcpIp was missing. Now I have to fine someone with a 98 disc. But I was wondering if there was a way to download it off my desk top which has windows 98, to a floppy, than load it into the laptop. I'm new at this so thanks for any help.

It's Freddy
    cybnut

When you go to Control Panel and click on Network, it lists nothing? Am I understanding you correctly? Or is it when you download your IP settings from your desktop that you don't get TCP/IP?

Either way this should help if you don't have the TCP/IP protocol installed. I hope

Good luck.
    Dream as if you are going to live forever, live as if you were going to die today.

A lot of times, the OS will be installed with what you need already.

When you install TCP/IP for whatever adapter... ethernet or dialup... the files are most likely already on the PC.

The OS will automatically default to "insert Win98 in cdrom" or something of that nature.
    That would be too easy... for someone who has the disk...

Point the OS to the following locations... It has worked for me numberous times.

c:\windows
    c:\windows\system
    c:\windows\system32

all of the files should be in those locations. If not, it will ask you for the location of the next file. Simply use the find feature in explorer and search your HD for the file it wants and point it in that direction. If I remember correctly, you will have to change locations just a few times.

Some manufacturers leave the cabs on the system too. They could be in a few locations...
    Sometimes they are in

c:\cabs
    c:\drivers\cabs
    c:\windows\cabs

You can also use the search feature for the cabs directory.

If you find someone with the 98disk, make sure it is the correct edition. Most ship with Second Edition, but not all. If you right click on My Computer and goto properties, it should show you which version you are using.

Good luck! Hope that helps!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks for the help. Zaggy I went to the link and followed the instructions and everything looks good, so I tryed agian. I still got the error. It does look like the tcpip protocol is up and running. Here is the error, maybe it can give you some idea as to what is going on. 'ERROR 720 Dail-up Networking could not negotiate a compatible set of network protocol you specified in the Server Type settings. Check your network configuation in the Control Panel then try the connection again.' Now I went into the control panel and set everything just like my decktop, and I still got the same error. The only difference is the modem. The laptop is using a PCMCIA card. I have not gotton any warning about a bad card. I checked in the system and there are no yellow '!' or red 'x'. It souds like it is working alright.
    phishphreek80, I have not tried your ideas yet, but will tomorrow. I have to go to work. Thanks to the both of you for your help.

It's Freddy
    cybnut

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    c:\cabs
    c:\drivers\cabs
    c:\windows\cabs
    On Win9x the cabs are usually found at c:\windows\options\cabs

Thanks for your help everybody. I got it working, but for some reason the outlook express and internet explorer do not connect to the allvantage setup in the laptop. I don't have that problem with my desktop. Do you you think there is a bug in the system or is there something I did not do right. Like I said, I did everything the same as the desktop. Thanks for any help.

Freddy
    cybnut