quick compile question

Thread: quick compile question

quick compile question

Will I run into any problems if I compile on a machine with a single processor but then upgrade to two procs (and recompile the kernel, of course)and yet continue to develop on that machine? That's a horribly worded question I realize but, oh well.

If it makes any difference it's FreeBSD 4.7.

The reason I ask is I have dual proc board with one proc on it. I know I'll get a second proc very soon but I want to start developing on this machine immediately.. I hope that explains it well enough.

Thanks in advance.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I haven't had any problems.

I have a dual processor machine that I use to program/compile on and I also compile on the PCs at work and school (single processor).... not to mention my other single processor machines here.

I compile on RH7.3, 8.0 win2k, Xp pro without a problem weather single processor or dual.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Typically, it *shouldn't* make any difference at all. The only scenario that I can think of where it might make a difference was if you had a program specifically built for two processors and you removed one. Adding a processor will mean that your old programs will just not take advantage of the second processor without being specifically converted to multi threaded programs. At least that's how it works under Winblows 2k/XP. Still, I'd ask someone else before doing it.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

thank you, so prompt

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    I haven't had any problems.

I have a dual processor machine that I use to program/compile on and I also compile on the PCs at work and school (single processor).... not to mention my other single processor machines here.

I compile on RH7.3, 8.0 win2k, Xp pro without a problem weather single processor or dual.
    Got the question answered, thanks Phish... I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

<edit>

Thanks again for answering.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson