Thread: Creating an Intranet.

Creating an Intranet.

Hi Everyone,

Ok here’s the score: I work for a sales company, I want to create a basic very simple Intranet with product information on it.
    We have 5 windows 2000 workstations and an NT server (2000 I think) all with web and email access.

How can I do this? I don’t have permission to use the administrator login although I do have it.

Can this be done? What should I do? Host it from my machine? If so how do I share it to other users?
    Also we have a shared network drive that we can all dump and remove files from.

Cheers AO Bad boys!

Ps. Sorry to see AO get sold. Hope it stays as is.

I know these are stupid questions but hey! You dont learn if you dont ask.
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

It's a gas!
    There are a number of resources available with a simple search of Google.

Google search for 'creating an intranet'
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ng+an+intranet

Theres gonna be a bit of reading to do on your part but that shoulod get you started.

Good Luck!

Ask the Admin before you do anything. It sounds like you want to have an Intranet "site". If this is the case, you will probably end up using IIS. You are opeping up a can of worms once you install/enable that (from a security standpoint). Your admin (or whoever is responsible for the network) will need to know about this so if there is an incident you are covered.

This can be done very easily - all you need to do is to create the site and then decide where you want to host it. You could host the site via IIS on any of the described machines, but if it was me I'd put it on the server since the server is always on and available in the office. Some of the others are right, you will want to make sure that your admin (if not you) will allow you to do this. Just make sure that IIS (would be the easiest) is installed on the host machine, of course with the latest patches and such, then create your site. You could create the site using .ASP, HTML, etc. Setup IIS to serve that site, then inform everyone of the address that the site is available at ie http://192.168.1.1 or you could even use the machine name. Then, each user would just surf around the site just like a normal web page. That would be a very quick way to get moving with the project...
    - Maverick

Creating an Intranet, Part 2.

[glowpurple]Thanks to everyone for their help so far....AO is one of very few decent communities![/glowpurple]

Ok I probably should have mentioned this earlier, I work for an IT Security distributor we sell Checkpoint, Trend Micro, Websense, Clearswift, Webtrends and ISS. So because of this we have a tight security policy in place (oh and system scanner along with RealSecure).

There's NO WAY the Security and Net admin team are gonna let me install IIS.

So I'm left thinking of other ways of doing this. As I said i've got full access rights to the shared network drives so how about I just publish the site to a shared drive and send everyone the link?

(Ie. F:/intranet/index.htm) I've tried it with a sinlge htm page and it seems to work.

AOMaverick811 / meloncholy / r3b00+ thanks for your help so far.
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

As long as you stay with html and some javascript on your pages, it should work fine. But as soon as you start puttin some nice server-side scripts there, it won't work as expected.
    Bleh.

VicE$DoS$, that should work for you but like SD said, you won't be able to add server side scripts which means that you may not get a lot of functionality out of the page. But in your first post what you described seems like you don't want it to be too complicated, so you should be fine going this route. Just stick to HTML and you should be okay.
    - Maverick