Thread: Multiple Domains on 1 Server?

Multiple Domains on 1 Server?

Ok, I know this isn't security related, but I was hoping someone here would have some suggestions. We run a server here operating Windows 2000. The server operates as our file and print server. It also has our exchange server as well as antivirus software. Everything on the server right now serves the domain xxx01.

I want to know if its possible to setup a second domain on the same server (xxx02). We would want to allow them access the exchange server, but with a different email domain (xxx02.com instead of xxx01.com). We would also want them to have access to their own space on the server for their own file sharing capabilities (this wouldnt be hard because of user properties we could allow access to a different set of directories).

To simplify, is there a way to setup on the same server logins for a xxx01 and xxx02 domains with access to the same exchange server but again with separate email domains? Any help would be appreciated.

I am assuming that you are using Active Directory, and Exchange 2000, maybe as part of the Small Business Server?

It depends on what you mean. If you want users to be authenticated with domain1 and domain2 for network access(by a single domain controller) and have different email addresses on the exchange server it is not possible because you cannot(as far as I know) host the active directory for 2 different "domains" on the same domain controller.

Having said that, it is entirely possible to host multiple email domains on a single exchange server. you can host both example.com and example2.com on the same server, it just requires some changes(IIRC) to(or add a new one maybe) the default recipient policy, and add the different email address to the user using the exchange properties of "Active Directory Users and Computers". Exchange 2000 as part of small business server may not allow you to do this, I do not know, but I do know there are some restrictions on what it is capable of.

The problem with what you want to do, is really hosting multiple active directory domains on the same server. As far as I know, it is not possible to host domain1 and domain2 on the same domain controller. You may be able to run a second domain controller, which hosts domain2 as a part of the same forest which includes domain1, and set up the users on domain2 on exchange although I have never tried it, and suspect it would not be trivial if it is indeed possible.

If you are willing to have users which would be in domain2, authenticate to domain1 instead, they certainly can be a part of the exchange server, with different email addresses than the users which would be in domain1.

Good Luck,

IchNiSan

HOW TO: Create Additional SMTP Virtual Servers in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b303707

As for the domain part. I believe you will have to set up a second "trusted" domain in Windows 2000.

This also might be helpful.

Accessing resources across domains
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...es_Domains.asp
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

thanks for the info guys. I am going to check out those links now. If its feasible to have the two domains that's great. If not, I am sure we can make do without it...Thanks again. If I make any headway, I'll post.

The trust relationships will work fine for exchange, but, you are gonna need a second domain controller. A single dc will not host 2 seperate domains.