Dynamic DNS

Thread: Dynamic DNS

Dynamic DNS

Hey guys I hope you can help

I have apache set up an my network at home and I am using cable internet. If i type in http://ipaddress/ i can see my page
    So this would mean that AT&T , my ISP didnot block port 80. So now i am trying to use Dynamic Dns. I set
    my domain name to my ipaddress, but it is not working. However if I :
    ping domainname.com
    I get a response from the correct IP address. So why is it not working from the browser?
    I really would appreciate your response

PeAcE
    kNoWLeDgE

Emptyknow: Can you give us the domain name and the IP address? It may be that your computer knows to look locally for the Ip address and is not going out through your internet provider to find that address. Then when it looks for the domain, it has to send a request out to the domain servers of your ISP and so then it could be going through the filter. I think most cable companies claim to block certain ports but do not do so. AT&T might be blocking the port. But then wouldnt you get an error?

Another thing I was thinking of is if your firewall (if you have one) could be blocking the requests.

Also, which Dynamic DNS service are you using. Do you have a website for them?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Check the httpd.conf file. Although I haven't done this in ages, I do remember there is a setting in there that needs to be configured properly for you to use FQDNs.

Anyone else remember this?
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

well the domain name is majidtahir.com. It is pingable from outside my LAN. and i can reach the website if i type
    http://ipaddress/ even from outside the network. What kinda changes do i need to make to apache.conf. I set the
    ServerName= majidtahir.com

thanks for your replies
    kNoWLeDgE

emptyknow: I recieved the default Apache Installation page when I typed in the domain name.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

really cxgjarrod this is really strange. if i use wget i can access the page. If i use lynx i can see the page. However when i use mozilla it says connection is refused from host?? what is goin on
    kNoWLeDgE

I am using IE and I can see the default page fine when I type in the domain name. I also get the same result with Mozilla (build 2002121215) and Netscape 7.

Not to ask the stupid question, but can you see other sites with your Mozilla browser?

ok it works, cxgjarrod. I just deleted history and it worked. It was probably just retrieving the page from cache therefore the error. Thanks for your help troubleshooting

pEaCe
    kNoWLeDgE

It sounds to me that your having problems with getting your dns resolved. Having a dynamic Ip address doesn't help either. You may want to use a dynamic ip service like www.dynip.com , they can resolve your domain for people trying to visit your site. Hope the info helps.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com