Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Math

Math

Here is the deal. I am a computer science student and I have this huge craving to learn. I spend my entire day, everyday teaching myself programming stuff and networking stuff and what have you. I have recently also begun a new craving, a craving to know math, really really well. The problem is, math in the education system is very poor, and I find myself struggling because of this. I know AO is more computer related, but I have seen some wonderful demonstrations of math knowledge here.

My question is, are there any good online resources for teaching myself advanced math. Or does anybody have any advice or insight into the ways of becoming great at it. I have searched the site for tutorials but did not succeede in finding anything.

I know that by learning math my programming skills will greatly increase, any help pointing me in the right direction would be wonderful. If you don't have any advice, then thank you for taking the time to read my post. Have a good evening.
    im not living, im just killing time.
    Go to KidAdmin.com

I wanted to put my two cents worth in - I have a degree in the Secondary Education of Mathematics from Penn State University. Depending on your general knowledge of mathematics already, I have to say - to learn what you would call "Advanced" mathematics - meaning number theorey - non-euclidean Geometry, Game Theorey and so on - you would really need to invest some money and take some classes. The books that are out there on these topics assume that you know too much already. In all "Advanced" mathematics I took classes in, we had 2-3 weeks of learning the basics of a subject before we even got to where teh books began because of their assumptions of basic knowledge on the subject. To my knowledge, the literature on online availability of some of the Advanced Mathemtatics is one area that is really lacking.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but truly Advanced Mathematics (beyond Calculus) - really would be difficult to learn from a book or from online -

That's just my opinion - maybe someone else on here can enlighten me on some good resources, Lord knows I've tried to find them myself.

ok, i have pondered over this many times, and depending on my mood. makes it easy or hard. but here have a go.

this is conversion of base numbers. we have base 10 (decimal) number system. and this shows you to change into different base number systems.

To convert between Binary, Octal and Hexadecimal systems, it will be easier if you understand our Base 10 system first, as follows:
    BASE 10:
    Use the number 345.26 Base 10.
    Starting at the DECIMAL point (from here on the DECIMAL point will be referred to as the BASE point).
    Going from the Base point to the left, the first space (5) is referred to as UNITS. In Base 10 it equals five units.
    The next digit to the left is referred to as the X(BASE). The 4 is four times the Base (10) or 40.
    The next digit to the left is referred to as X(BASE SQUARED) or 100. The 3 is 3 times 100, or 300.
    The next digit to the left is referred to as X(BASE TO THE THIRD POWER) or 1000.
    The next digit to the left is referred to as X(BASE TO THE FOURTH POWER) or 10000.
    So, as you continue to the left, increase the power by one.
    Going from the BASE point to the RIGHT; the first space s referred to as 1 over Base. Or, in this case, one tenth. So the 2 would equal .2 or two tenths.
    The next position to the right is one over Base squared, the next would be Base to the third power, and so on.
    BINARY BASE:
    The Binary base system is the same as above, in Base ten, in that the first digit to the left of the Base point is UNITS.
    In this case, it is either ZERO or ONE.
    The next would be X(BASE) or the number in that position times two.
    The next position to the left would be X(BASE SQUARED) or in this case, two squared, or four.
    The next position to the left is X(BASE) to the third power, or in this is EIGHT. Note: It is important that you do not ADD 3 and get Six.
    Continuing to the left, just increase each position to the NEXT POWER.
    Starting at the BASE point and going right, works the same as BASE TEN, in that the first position would be ONE over TWO.
    Remember, you can only have a ONE or a ZERO. So, it would be equal ZERO or equal 1/2.
    The next position to the right would be 1/4. The next would be 1/8 and so on.
    The number 1011.01 would be equal to the following:
    Going from the BASE point to the left is Units or 1. The next would be X(BASE), or 1 times two equals two. The next position, in this case, ZERO, is only used as a placeholder. The next position is X(BASE) squared, or 0. And, the next position is X(BASE) to the third power or 2x2x2. Remember, its eight not six.
    So, the binary 1011 is equal to (add each position), eight, place holder, plus 2, plus 1, or all together...ELEVEN. Each position to the right is figured the same as BASE TEN. Position number 1
    is 1/2, the next is 1/4, and so on.
    The above number.01 is equal to.0(placeholder), the next .01 equal to 1/4 or one fourth.
    Therefore, the above binary number 1011.01 = 11.25 in base ten.
    Note: I should have mentioned earlier that the only way to understand what the BASE number we are working with equals, is to convert it to BASE 10. Because, that is what we learned in school and have used most of our lives.
    Each BASE system follows the same rules that we started with
    in BASE 10.
    Note: The largest number that you may have in any Base System is always ONE LESS THAN THE BASE.
    In BASE 10, it is NINE. In BINARY or BASE 2, it is ONE. In BASE 8 (Octal) it is SEVEN. And, in BASE 16 (Hexadecimal) it is 15.
    Computers work on the BINARY system. OCTAL and HEXADECIMAL systems are also used because they are easier than Binary to work with. Example: The hexadecimal fifteen is 1111 in the Binary system. In Hexadecimal fifteen is F. I will explain this later.
    The OCTAL number 46 would equal (4XBase or 4X8 = 32. And the 6 would = 6. Added together = 38 So, 46 in OCTAL equals 38 in BASE 10.
    In HEXADECIMAL, the largest number is 15. If we use 15 in the Hex system, 10 thru 15 would be confusing because they need two places. You may use any system, such as circle, square,
    triangle, and so on. Or you could use any six symbols, or colors. However, most of the time we use A through F. The following applies: 10 = A, 11 = B, 12 = C, 13 = D, 14 = E, and 15 = F.
    HEXADECIMAL is calculated the same way as BASE 10, BINARY AND OCTAL.
    Therefore, 734 Base 16 would = 7 times Base squared, or 156.
    The 3 = 3XBase, or 16, or 48 and 4 units, or 4.
    Added together 156 + 48 + 4 = 208 in BASE 10
    How to count in BASE 10, BINARY, OCTAL and HEXADECIMAL:

A

B

C

D

E

F

The nice thing about the computer system is that the 1s and 0s can be grouped into threes, for OCTAL and groups of four for HEXADECIMAL.
    Therefore, Binary 111011011110 for OCTAL would be 111 011 011 110 or 7336.
    Grouping into fours for HEXADECIMAL would be 1110 1101 1110 or E D E.
    I hope by now that you can see how to convert between the BASES and how it is easier to read the numbers on the computer when they are grouped as described above.

i think the allignment went out a little bit. but anyways, the source is http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcRr/ramamath.html

so it might be easier to go there. note this is a game from sierra and its really hard. but its fun. lots of math puzzles. just google it and you should be able to find a summery or something.

have fun
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Kidadmin, this is very good, your yearning to learn math.
    If good teachers or knowledge is not available in your school, employ a personal tutor and then learn it. The fact that you are considering learning math online can be hard because you have to hit and trial, and need solving of your problems continually, otherwise you will loose interest.
    I'm glad you want to learn it, here in india, people are taught and they usually run away.
    Come to india, eh ?
    Anyway, a personal tutor is the best option, before, of course you move to college and take it as your major.

-vader
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

Almost every university puts their lessons' online... just start search google/univeristy sites for math courses (i'd start with college algebra, work on to calc...) you could even goto your local Community College and sit in on a few classes (i do this a lot, no one ever asks me if "i'm paying for the class", lol) anyway- that's just what i do...

-take it easy!

btw- i'm glad you guys/gals chose to use my logo for transit!
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    My question is, are there any good online resources for teaching myself advanced math. Or does anybody have any advice or insight into the ways of becoming great at it. I have searched the site for tutorials but did not succeede in finding anything.
    Yes, there are many!
    This is my absolute favorite.
    MathWorld
    Graph theory.

I think the "type" of mathematics that can help a lot in programming is number theory, graph theory (also called networking thoery - can be related to computer networks), and many other types of pure math. Pure math involves a lot of algorithms, patterns, proofs, etc. and really lends itself to the type of thinking required in programming in higher level languages such as c++.

I would suggest reading books on the subject. I would go to Barnes and Nobel and buy a new math book (or two or three) every week for years. It got to the point where I had almost everything they did. But, just like any other subject, you have to read, read, read, and work the problems. If you want any suggestions on number theory or graph theory books you can PM me and I'll give you a list.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

In my opinion; and as elrey103 said; if you really want to learn math (from the concepts and not just to know how to solve equations; to understand math) the web won't be of muhc help. You'll need to by big books (as i do in colledge) and have somebody to teach you... Why? because math is a hard science; in most cases it's not as intuitive as it looks; and is really abstract as not to be shown for the first time (at least) how things work. Besides the more you learn the more abstract it becames (thou having to imagine much more and not being able to "see it" for e.i)... To sum up if you really want to learn math (i mean understand what you are doing) you'll need to take up some classes with sbdy and spend hours reading big books....
    Hope i helped you and did not crush this great idea of your's (keep on you'll do great if you really want to)...

ampm2003.
    \"Aclaró que un Aleph es uno de los puntos del espacio que contiene todos los puntos\"... (An Aleph is a point in space that contains every point)
    Jorge Luis Borges \"El Aleph\"...

I actually am taking some math classes at university, I was just looking for something extra to work on. I think I may buy some books soon. Thanks for everybody's respnses, and trust_not_123, wow, um, thanks a lot.
    im not living, im just killing time.
    Go to KidAdmin.com

it depends on what you mean by "advanced" mathematics.

you _could_ spend the rest of your life in some obscure area of differential equations, and still not "break through" anything.

however,
    http://www-math.mit.edu/
    navigate around here and i think you can still download video of a prof. giving lectures. i am on dialup, so i am not that inclined to download an hour's worth of video of some guy standing in front of a blackboard.

http://ocw.mit.edu/global/department18.html
    Advanced you say...
    General Relativity and Gravitational Radiation
    Course Description
    In this Special Topics course we discuss current theoretical and experimental developments towards the detection of astrophysical sources of gravitational radiation. The discovery of the Hulse-Taylor binary gives experimental evidence for energetic emissions of gravitational waves. Upcoming experiments target the direct detection of gravitational radiation, observational evidence for Kerr black holes, binaries of black holes, and serendipitous discoveries.
    also at the second link
    Calculus with Applications
    Complex Variables with Applications
    Linear Algebra
    Topics in Theoretical Computer Science: Internet Research Problems

www.math2.org - Fourier Series, MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA...i mean...
    Code:
                   {  -t       -Pi <= t < 0
    ƒ ( t )  =  {
                   {    t        0  <= t < Pi
    and one last one

www.quickmath.com
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

mathgirl32 already posted a link to Eric Weisstein's World of Math which was what I was going to recommend too, so I'll just give you a general link to Google directory - Science > Math > Education.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25