Proxy Servers

Thread: Proxy Servers

Proxy Servers

I was wondering if anybody can give me information about proxy servers?

Proxy servers have two main purposes:
    # Improve Performance: Proxy servers can dramatically improve performance for groups of users. This is because it saves the results of all requests for a certain amount of time. Consider the case where both user X and user Y access the World Wide Web through a proxy server. First user X requests a certain Web page, which we'll call Page 1. Sometime later, user Y requests the same page. Instead of forwarding the request to the Web server where Page 1 resides, which can be a time-consuming operation, the proxy server simply returns the Page 1 that it already fetched for user X. Since the proxy server is often on the same network as the user, this is a much faster operation. Real proxy servers support hundreds or thousands of users. The major online services such as Compuserve and America Online, for example, employ an array of proxy servers.
    # Filter Requests: Proxy servers can also be used to filter requests. For example, a company might use a proxy server to prevent its employees from accessing a specific set of Web sites.
    And now that you know what they are? Here is a list of Proxy servers (public) (the number at the end "for example ':80'" is the port in wich to connect to the proxy)

here is an interesting thread->
    we've been trying to figure out the whole daisy chaining proxies "thing" --- any ideas?
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...