Thread: AntiOnline SSL

AntiOnline SSL

I know this may annoy some people because I think this may have been mentioned before,But how about AntiOnline getting SSL to protect our logins seeing as this is a security site(This may be a stupid sugestion seeing as Jupman has just swiched servers as the new server might not have SSL installed).Just a thaught...

-Dominaterx

yea i thought about that too and I think it would be a good idea.

and performance shouldn't be an issue, because just the login page should be encrypted, not the whole site, and as long as the password in the cookie (or Session ID) is encrypted as well it should be good.

-Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

Hi mom!
    It's not like you're saving your creditcard numbers here. It's an open forum! What's there to protect?
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Originally posted here by Guus
    It's not like you're saving your creditcard numbers here. It's an open forum! What's there to protect?
    it might be just that this is a security site... in other words, a car club builds an engine with 550 horsepower... you'll never need that many horses under the hood- but it's still nice to know they're there! (sorry, i'm a bit of a car buf, and this was a good example?)
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Hi mom!
    Sure, but to continue with your example: that extra horsepower gives you the opportunity to do be faster, accelerate faster, whatever. Using SSL to protect a forum gives you nothing but a perhaps slightly slower connection and another piece of software that needs maintaining. Your newspaper doesn't come ROT13'd either?
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

I think a point that to me sounds like it was trying to come out was how we have worked hard for our accounts, who would like to see someone be able to take over years (some people have been here that long) and ruin their status. Sure it's nothing big, no skin off anyone's back, but getting a high status here is meaningful to some because of what it means... that this person knows what they are talking about and does a good job of bringing information to the site and helping others in need with informaiton they can find.

I know I'm still pratically a "newbie", but I wouldn't want my name defaced here if someone got ahold of my account with an insecure login! But would I die if it happened, no. But I can udnerstand how some might worry about something like that.

Plus another fact is, we are a security site, shouldn't something like that kind of be a "duh, no brainer" type of responce? Do network admins who are security phreaks only put standard house hold locks on their server rooms?
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Hi mom!
    You've got a point there (protecting accounts) - but then again, in the rare cases that an imposter comes forward, a moderator can help you out as well.