Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yahoo id's

yahoo id's

I have been told though not believing, that from your yahoo id name someone can gain access to your profile information even if you did not choose the option to be included in the yahoo directory. Is it true that from your yahoo id nic your true ip or anything else can be found?
    Just when i got used to yesterday, along came today.

Yahoo records IP's on their message boards, but for language violations which may occur. I've been using Yahoo as my home page and main e-mail address and have had zero problems since 1999. If there is a flaw I haven't heard anything about it.
    I\'d rather die on my feet than live my life on my knees.

(Emiliano Zapata, a Mexican revolutionary in the early 1900s)

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hello backslap.

A normal user is not able to get your ip address in yahoo by viewing your profile, unless the user is a yahoo admin, or (which i dont believe at this point) someone has actually hacked the yahoo server, only then could they find your ip on yahoo. Every connection between the users in yahoo go through the yahoo server (except if you send a file directly through messenger to another user).

One way also would be if you send someone an email from your yahoo account, they could find the ip within the mail's headers. But NOT by simply viewing your profile. Hope this answers your question.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Banned
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/instant-messaging.htm

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/web-server.htm

Incase Instronics didn't make his post clear....

The URL may help you more but im just going to babble on about some example connections to give you a general idea on the matter....

Clients usually send packets these packets are often little bits of data or like commands to the servers. The clients wait for servers to respond and then send commands to servers that listen on ports for connections and commands. Then it obeys the commands. The example I gave would be more of a P2P thing though and other servers would be hosting a heck of alot more clients and the clients in I.M. would both send/recieve commands then display it as text.

why the neg's on this thread.. I didn't see a problem with the questions or the reply.. or are the equalisers out...
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hi Und3ertak3r, i agree with you, prolly some equalizers or some very dumb people who gave these neggs.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Ok, here is the deal. My life was threatened online. Though this monitor can't hurt me. I want to know how someone got my true addy from my yahoo nic? PERIOD. Now for the rest. Since i joined up i never neged anyone. EVER. Thanks for the help...........
    Just when i got used to yesterday, along came today.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    If your life was threatened online, then I would suggest speaking to the police. Stuff like that is just as a real violation of the law as it is in the non-Internet community. Also, it's not that hard to find the IP address but not from the profile. AFAIK, most of the profiles do not have personal information if you do not have you profile searchable. There are a couple of ways to get someone's IP:

1. Email. Email headers include the source address unless you successfully spoof it or use some type of web-based mailer.

2. Yahoo Chat/downloads. Chats and downloads often require direct connections between users and it's not that hard to get someone's IP that way.

These are just off the top of my head. Certainly there are other ways.

And no one was suggesting YOU negged someone. The question was why you received Neg APs when the thread didn't deserve it. That has been "fixed".
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

"My life was threatened online"

Did this occur on a Yahoo Message Board? If so, and you have the written threat saved, you could send it to Yahoo.

Only in one instance have I seen someone display the IP number of a poster on the boards. How they were able to do this is a mystery to me.

As MsMittens said, one of my first guesses would be through an e-mail header.

I've tried looking up info on Yahoo Members here but Yahoo seems to be having server problems at the moment.

It would help to know if this threat was received via message board/chat room/or e-mail.
    I\'d rather die on my feet than live my life on my knees.

(Emiliano Zapata, a Mexican revolutionary in the early 1900s)

Another way to see someone IP on Yahoo if you have "webcam" , you can see that IP cause webcam have direct connections.
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!