Thread: What is a good magazine to read that deals with Computer Security?

What is a good magazine to read that deals with Computer Security?

what do you guys think are some good magazines to read that deal with computer security. 2600 Magazine seems like a good one. I might go with that. any others?

By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You know. For print mags, that's probably the nicest read. There is a mag called Information Security, which you can find here and COMPSEC.

What I find is that many of the other non-2600 magazines read like advertisements rather than information about vulnerabilities or how to setup security.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I read Information Security too. I also read CSO magazine. I prefer CSO. I also (of course) check out 2600 and phrack to see what I can expect to be hitting my firewalls. Know thy enemy type of stuff.

Hustler?

While "Smart Computing" ( www.smartcomputing.com ) is geared more towards the beginner and average pc user, I have yet to read an issue where it hasn't taught me something new. I would recommend that magazine to anyone. **No, I don't work for them **
    I\'d rather die on my feet than live my life on my knees.

(Emiliano Zapata, a Mexican revolutionary in the early 1900s)

Also http://neworder.box.sk/ and http://blacksun.box.sk/books.html have a wealth of information to read thru too... have at it.
    You have been infected by the Amish computer virus. We do not believe in evil technology, like computer programming, so this virus works on the honor system. Please manually delete all the files on your hard drive and forward this to all of your friends
    Thank you for your cooperation,
    The Amish World Order

Conf1rm3d_K1ll aka "Australian Jackass". Just like you to post pointless crap, off topic, and irrelevant.

And now back the show....... 2600, phrack, CSO, and Information Security are great. Might I suggest a book? 'Information Security and Warfare' by Dorothy Dennehey (spelling?) She's one scary, smart person and the information found within can only help you understand how information can be used for, as well as, against you.

Philosophy is just as important as fact when it comes to securing information. A solid philosophy can lead you down the correct path if information is lacking.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

The Counterpane Cryptogram is extraordinarily useful

http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram.html

you'll find that the focus is usually on cryptography but there is a wealth of information to be learned about security in general. for example, there's a discussion in this month's issue discussing 'Locks and Full Disclosure.' it's about a security attack on the locksmithing community regarding their use of master keys.

this is not a newbie read and there are several links to graduate level research papers, but it's not purposefully esoteric.