Thread: Linux; IPTables (upgrade)

Post Linux; IPTables (upgrade)

Hi everyone... it's been a while since i don't post a thread...
    This time; i've got a question concercing IPTables; adn linux.
    The thing is that i have a server at home masquerading my LAN into internet. But this server is running red hat 6.2 distribution (which i find one of the most stable red hat distributions that came into my hands) and the masquerading scripts and chains are written in IPchains.
    I want to upgrade to IPTables; for which i know i have to upgrade my kernel (one of the 2.4.x would do good).. but the question is as follows: Should i also upgrade my Red hat 6.2 dist.. is it extremly necesary (i don't want to do so because in two years i had no probs with my server and want to mantain this "stability"...) couldn't i just upgrade my kernel and install IPTables packages? besides; my server si just a router; it has de foward table and filter table configured to drop everything; and the nat to pass (i mean the one i'm planning to creat with IPTables)... So the question is would it be really necesary to upgrade my linux dist as well?
    Well hope someone hole's the answer...
    thank's for your help....
    ampm2003
    \"Aclaró que un Aleph es uno de los puntos del espacio que contiene todos los puntos\"... (An Aleph is a point in space that contains every point)
    Jorge Luis Borges \"El Aleph\"...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You shouldn't need to upgrade everything else. The kernel should be fine. And while you may know where to find the kernel, others may not so I'll post it here.

RH 7.3, FYI, is actually, quite stable. The one thing I would make sure is that all the other "toys" that you might have installed on your 6.2 are also up-to-date.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thank's for your advice; just as i thought... (perfect; I like to have my toghts confirmed)...
    Yet i have a question: you told me to have my toys up-to-date; but since i offer no service (everything that tries to reach the server is dropped and I have no opened ports; so there is no net-service running).. I can only think you are talking about IPTables' packages is that right or am i missing something?
    again thank's fpr your advice...
    ampm2003.
    \"Aclaró que un Aleph es uno de los puntos del espacio que contiene todos los puntos\"... (An Aleph is a point in space that contains every point)
    Jorge Luis Borges \"El Aleph\"...

my Red hat 6.2 dist.. is it extremly necesary (i don't want to do so because in two years i had no probs with my server and want to mantain this "stability"...)
    gotta love Linux

Ipchains available in the kernel 2.2 package(oldest version Linux), is ipfwadm successor and supports all the functionality of ipfwadm and more.

With the release of kernel 2.4 (actually, kernel 2.3.15), ipchains support has been phased out for the next generation firewall utility:iptables.
    In later versions, the linux kernel includes netfilter,networking infrastructure that supports plug-in network traffic management utilities. Iptables program provides the user interface to netfilter.
    So ampm2003..thankfully, if you've used ipchains, you'll be familiar with how "iptables" operates.
    I agree with MsMitten here, RH Linux 7.3 it's stable (for me..) or upgrade your kernel if you like to get your hands "dirty" on Linux and you can start play around with your "iptables" and your "toys"

Cheerss
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    hello ampm2003.

About the update question you have......

i would recomend that you browse your vendors website, and have a look at which critical updates/patches are available. Even if its an application thats not offering a service towards the outside, anything...compare your versions of applications to the vendors website and upgrade anything needed. Its not a must to get it working the way you want, but its always advisable to be upto date.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"