Thread: Will programming experience help me land a job easier?

Will programming experience help me land a job easier?

I am getting into Computer Security and the likes, and I was wondering if I know how to program will it help me land a better job? Like I had a hard time learning about php so I gave it up although I will force myself to learn this language because I was so addicted to other languages. I tried C++ going to buy a compiler to help me get better at it.

Sorry if this seems like an over asked question just wanting some replys from people in the field.

Thanks in advance.

The way I see it, any skill that you possess can do nothing but help you while looking for a job. I believe that the more knowledge you have, the better off you are. My job doesn't involve security 100%, but it is a substantial part of what I do. When I was hired, my skill set involved many aspects of computing, and programming experience was one of them. I'm not saying that it was a make or break situation where programming was involved, but I believe that it was just another benefit that my employer saw in me.

So, to answer your question, yes, programming experience will definiatly help you in your quest for a job. You could write scripts to test for vulnerabilities, you could write secure login scripts, etc. You should definately try to learn C, C++ and others if you believe that you want to obtain a job within the field of computer/network security.
    - Maverick

um, programming will help you (always does) although i'm not sure that it would necessarily land you a job... just ecause you can write software, that doesn't mean that you will get the cool admin job for the local business... it all depends on what you want to do, and how you present your skills... again- programming will help/be a great benefit- but it might not make you any more likely to get a job than the next guy/gal. I say this from experience, when you're not applying for a programming job, most people don't care if you know how to code... on the other hand- some admin positions might require some minimal programming skills (like scripting, shell, batch, etc...)
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

All knowledge you can gain will help you to get a better work (dont know what kind of work you have today though). I have learned many things in my life, yes im quite old compared to many of AO's citizens. I have studied hardware, software, basic programming, security, network, human relations, media and design and more (im also a good chef). All knowledge have helped me in my life, both professional and private. Knowledge is the key to many things .

~micael

To move into security a language is usefull, but what would be better is a very good understanding of networks and the operating systems is more important. This will help in the network side of security

The other side of security is web application security which to understand you must have a good understanding of aleast one web language either asp, php, jsp, coldfusion but knowledge of all is usefull. But to go with that a sound understanding of SQL is also needed.

I hope that helps

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"

Thanks guys I kinda figured the more knowledge the better it is.

I just wasn't sure it is applied to this field. Apparently it does, and thanks to all the poeople who responded.

computer security requires analyasis of FireWall event web ftp etc. logs. being able to parse them for anomilies is definitly required. perl and/or vbs are definitly good to know for this. Automating common task is always required in any language you know.

learn socket and database programming.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

the general feeling in here is that the more you know the better chances you have of getting the job, this may not always prove true. in some circumstances, perhaps when dealing with large companies, it normally comes down to the Human Relations person as to whom gets the job on offer, no matter how much you know. they try to gauge your personality and "people skills" etc. to see if you are right for the job.

google: "what the HR people want and how to give it to them with a smile"

but in _general_ the more you know, the better your chances, especially if what you know ties in together nicely.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!