Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP Cracker

IP Cracker

Hey I was just in an msn room and one of the hosts in the room told me my ip.I asked some people on messenger if they knew how this person obtained my ip address thru an msn room and they said prob with an ip cracker.But what I want to know is could anybody that is familiar with this
    "ip cracking" please explain how it works as I thought msn chat acted more like a proxy server so users could'nt get eachothers ips.Oh and just before you ask all I did is go to this msn room I do not know the people who told me my ip and I did not do any direct connect or visit any links given to me..

-Dominaterx

Did you ever connect with someone because if so they could do the following

1.go to run
    2.type command
    3.now type netstat -n
    4.look for the ip that says ESTABLISHED

That might of happen but im not sure i could be wrong

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hello Dominaterx.

Did you maybe click on a link that someone posted in the chat room itself. Sometimes people who can read the logs of who connects to a website (maybe even their own webserver) are able to see which ips connect to the website, and they post an URL hoping to get peoples IPs that way. Also just to be safe, upgrade you antivirus and get a trojan cleaner like from moosoft.com. Maybe you have something that listens on your computer for inbound connections. Maybe that person in chat has managed that some time before. In any case, in future avoid clicking on links posted inside a chat room, unless you know who is posting the links. Good luck.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Thanks for replying banananuts and instronics.But like I said in by above post I did not click on any links or make any direct connect or open email ect.I know quite a bit about comps this is why I became puzzled when this kid got my ip just after seconds of entering the room.These kids were using scripts on msn think they are prob connecting thru irc,this is why I thought some of the irc regulars here might know how this works.I have a dial up line and since I have been online I have onlt visited AntiOnline,Security focus and wired.Just as I am writing this post I just asked another scripter on my messenger he said they are using an ip cracker programme,he got it aswell.But he doesent know how it works,he said you can only hide ur ip from it if ur using a script.But I do not want the programme,I just want to know how it works can anybody else shed some light on the subject?.
    Thanks for all ur help

-Dominaterx

Well i think that i reasonably simple to gain ip of a user using
    the ./dns command in IRC.
    unless i am wrong, going through irc onto msn's server should
    display ur IP
    Till We Meet Again...

Well in NetBus i think there is one thing were you can scan maybe he scanned it from netbus and got your IP i could be wrong though.

Welp, nope.

Even if they enter msn chat using irc, they cannot see the users ip numbers without having and oper status. If you do a whois using irc within msn, you get something like bla@gatekeeper234837597234857 ,so the ip is patched with a virtual host. MSN chat is ircX, (xtended interenet relay chat) with a heavy java interface. Unless you have admin or oper status, you cannot get the ip of other chatters within irc. Thats where the Gatekeeper AUTH pops in. So, this all means that it is weird indeed that a user has got your ip. Maybe an insider such as a coruupt admin or operator? The admins on msn chat use a seperate interface (host intereface), and normally they can kline/ban users using their gatekeeper adress. Ooops, correction. Their interface does not allow to view the ips either, so its only limited to system administrators. This is for the security of the users on msn chat. I remember a long time ago, we tried to bypass that gatekeeper, but alas we had no success. We did have irc access (with the help of very heavily modified scripts) and we could do a bunch of things that the normal msn chatter could not, but the gatekeeper security was too strong to get ips. The other solution might be, that someone indeed has managed to "eavesdrop" on the msn server (i remember a few who have done that), but i cannot imagine that they would post your ip public inside a channel. Did this ever happen again, or was it only one time? Also, try the helpdesk on msn, and report it to them if you feel threatend by what has happened. Good luck.

Cheers.

Heh,Funny you should say that about bla@gatekeeper234837597234857.I entered the room and they were all messing with there scripts scrolling and stuff,then one of the gold hosts did something similar to what you just metioned:bla@gatekeeper234837597234857,Then seconds after this other kid said lookie what I just found and posted my ip(The kid who posted my ip WAS a gold host).Then another gold host said having fun with(Cant remember the name of the person they mentioned)ip grabber?

-Dominaterx

Hmmm, did the script kiddies actually find a way to get an IP number based on the gateway info? LOL. Maybe MSN should patch that then. If you are worried about this, report it to the helpdesk. As far as im aware, its illegal for non authorized users to decrypt the gatekeeper hosts. Other wise, rely on your security and dont let it bother you. There is no way to actually hide your ip from your side on msn (no, not even with proxies). The MSN server gets your ip from your computer directly, and not from the ISP. (Windows does like to broadcast alot ). Its all within the "famous" msnchat.ocx file.

Cheers.

Originally posted here by Dominaterx
    (The kid who posted my ip WAS a gold host).Then another gold host said having fun with(Cant remember the name of the person they mentioned)ip grabber?
    -Dominaterx
    Could it be that these Gold Host members (because of their status) have more options/control in the irc rooms? That would be interesting (although i don't care for IRC) if MSN was just giving op status to anybody, lol???

I'd like to see what comes of this?
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...