Thread: Problems with bootmenu Mandrake

Question Problems with bootmenu Mandrake

Recently I’ve installed Mandrake 8.0 version on my box. I’ve installed it as a dual boot along with Windows XP Pro. Due to some screw-up on my site , I had to format the hard disk. After the format of the hard disk I encounter a problem with the boot menu from Mandrake. It keeps popping up , while there is no OS installed on the drive. I’ve contacted some of my friends with my problem and they answers to me that Mandrake write his boot menu to the MBR of my hard disk.

To get rid of this, I’ve used a online tool from the vendor of the hard disk. I’ve used a full erase of the disk and replaced the MBR from my hard disk. My question now is: Is there no other way to get rid of this boot menu? Should I first uninstall Mandrake and Windows XP Pro before I formatted my hard disk? If so, how do you uninstall Mandrake? Maybe a stupid question, but I’m new at this OS.

In advance many thkx to you guys!!

newbie in linuxland
    Remember...the most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=298

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Boot with a dos disk and type fdisk /mbr. The bootmenu of most OSes is located in the Master Boot Record (mbr) of hard drives. This command should return the bootloader to whatever it was before (non-Linux bootloader or empty).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    Also, if that doesn't work (in case of using XP)

Use the boot cd to go to the recovery console, then type FIXMBR, then FIXBOOT.

Check out my Lilo removal tutorial

Many thnx tyger claw!!

I've just read your tutorial, saved it and printed it!!!
    Remember...the most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=298