How to undelete user in Win2kPro

Thread: How to undelete user in Win2kPro

How to undelete user in Win2kPro

Well, looks like KapperDog pulled another boner. LOL Getting so I'm embarassed to come around. LOL

Anyway, running Win2kPro.

Went to My Computer

Right click

Manage

Users/groups

Users

and deleted the main user (Family_Room)

Well, I wish I had known. LMAO

So, now, I'm without my mail settings, my passwords, and all the other goodies that were part of that user.

I know trying to make a new user with the same name does not work.

Anyone know a way I can recover that user?

Thanks
    KapperDog

You can't recover the user per say. Each time you create a new user, it gets a new unique SID (security id). The SID is used in NTFS permissions and etc., so the name of a user can be changed without affecting file ownership and permissions and etc.

What you can try to do is recover the profile settings... go in C:\Documents and settings\Family_Room

Create the new user, change the permissions on the user's profile folder so that the new user has all access (you might wnat to delete the old permission entry which will show up as the alphanumeric SID only since the user has been deleted).

Make sure the profile folder's name matches the name of the new user (if it has changed).

Haven't tried it myself but I think it should work...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Geeze. LOL I need to send an email to MS telling them they need a pop-up that says,

"HEY!! DON'T DO THIS...YOU'RE GOING TO SPEND ALL NIGHT FIXING IT".

I can't believe there's not some kind of hack for this. I searched all the keys I thought would produce and I got nothing. I can't believe I'm the only one dumb enough to delete a user in Windows. (Although, I suppose it's possible.)

What I ended up doing was logging on as Admin and created a <newuser>.

Then, I went to \Documents and Settings\Family_Room\ and copied everything from that dir into the \Documents and Settings\<newuser>\ dir.

At least that got me all my email accounts and IE favs..etc. Amazing how many passwords and usernames one can aquire. LOL

Any suggestions on what I could have done to avoid this (other than eat more fatty aminos)?

What would have made it an easy undelete? Backing up my reg file?

Thanks.
    KapperDog

More like backing up your SAM file would have helped.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss