Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google technology explained

Google technology explained

as a computer scientist i have often pondered how Google is the best search engine in existence and it always gives the most relevant results to any query. well finally i know the answer. they use pigeons.

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

Someone has way too much time on their hands.
    LOL
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3

Smile

That is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Nice find!

Aren't pigeons really stupid? How do they do this?

While no pigeon has actually been confirmed for a seat on the Supreme Court, pigeons are surprisingly adept at making instant judgments when confronted with difficult choices. This makes them suitable for any job requiring accurate and authoritative decision-making under pressure. Among the positions in which pigeons have served capably are replacement air traffic controllers, butterfly ballot counters and pro football referees during the "no-instant replay" years.
    .....too funny!

No wonder I can't find a job!!! I'm the wrong species.....::: curses pigeons :::

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

That's a great technology and it doesn't cost much, only some seeds

Good job.

someone please explain why it's in www.google.com ?
    Is it a joke?
    ???
    easter egg?

i believe it was an April Fool's day gag. there was a link to that page on the google homepage on April 1, 2002.

RFC1149

Looks like a variation of this old joke. http://www.rfc1149.net/original
    Why take the stairs when you can just fall?

I liked this part...

Integrity

Google's pigeon-driven methods make tampering with our results extremely difficult. While some unscrupulous websites have tried to boost their ranking by including images on their pages of bread crumbs, bird seed and parrots posing seductively in resplendent plumage, Google's PigeonRank technology cannot be deceived by these techniques. A Google search is an easy, honest and objective way to find high-quality websites with information relevant to your search.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

wow, someone went to all that trouble just to entertain us, there should be more of it

Banned
    there is ... google has lots of fun stuff. check out the links on the left of the page funnimonkee