Sygate Personal Firewall & ZoneAlarm Firewall

Thread: Sygate Personal Firewall & ZoneAlarm Firewall

Question Sygate Personal Firewall & ZoneAlarm Firewall

I want to know if any one experience problems or errors if you installed both sygate personal firewall pro and zonealarm firewall (free version) on your computer. I recently come across many errors during system startup after I update my zonealarm firewall to the latest version. I want to know whether zonealarm firewall or sygate personal firewall is better and more secure. I like to hear from you. Thanks.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hello Falcon21.

First of all, installing 2 firewalls will not make your computer "safer", since they will interfere between themselves. Its wiser to setup 1 firewall correctly, with great detail, and tighten it as well as possible. I cannot advise you which one of these 2 to use, since i dont aprove any of these 2. If its only for your simple home pc, anyone would be sufficient. You cant say which one of the 2 are better, since they both have postivive aswell as negative sides. Zone alarm for one is easy to setup, and does not need alot of skills to configure (in my situation i think that both of these suck, since im using different firewall technologies). Maybe have a look at tinys firewall or outpost. They are not too bad but do require a little knowledge on general networking, protocols, etc.... They can be set up with more detail. If you want to go deeper into firewalling in general, then consider IPTABLES, or maybe even a dedicated firewall (meaning another OS). But like i said earlier, for a simple home pc, any of the firewalls mention here will do. Just dont go installing 2 of them, as it will increase the problems that might arise, aswell as more work to maintain them. 1 properly setup firewall is enough. Also, dont trust your entire security based on the firewall by itself. Lookup on AO here what other means there are of securing your computer. A firewall is not enough to say that you are safe in any way. Good luck.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

hi Falcon,

actually i am agree with instronics "installing 2 firewall will not "safer"ur computer ". why you installing 2 firewall ? installing 1 firewall is need enought to protect you computer. and firewall ussualy has it own zone alarm , just active the zone alarm and set the range or you may customize it at the first time you install the firewall. and set the application which allow or not to connect the internet. so the point is make your own setting in your personal firewall.

good luck

When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

Kudos to Instronics as it was a well put article, if you will, on what to consider if one is choosing a firewall. Personally i choose Zone Alarm (as mentioned it is easy to use) and have had pretty good success with but as also was mentioned, better not leave your trust in your firewall as their ways of entrance on firewalls like backdoor being open (i guess). i shan't chide you on installing two 'walls as it is clear, hopefully, you learned that. Well continue on to success
    It\'s better the devil you know, than the devil
    me
    you don\'t.- uhme\'s wifey
    [shadow]Onward Jeeves[/shadow] [blur]Onward Jeeves[/blur]

i use sygate on my home computer. it is free and very easy to use. it also gives me all the infomation i need when my ports were scanner ect. the only problem i have had with sygate is the fact that after i installed vmware sygate wont run. some error

but i dont use vmware anyways.
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

I use sygate and never have had any problems with it....and moreover i have heard that zonealarm has some vulnerabilities...though if u plan to have a LAN network setup u should be carefull with sygate as sometimes it disables filesharing....i guess they have another firewall for machines on a network...Enjoy!!

i suppose another good thing with sygate is that if you use an irc client, most firewalls wont let you either accept or give files. even after you have specified to let the client access. with sygate once you allow network access with any program. it automatically sets all the values. it also has a very comprehensive log.
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----