Thread: Internet Explorer interfacing problem

Unhappy Internet Explorer interfacing problem

Hi,
    First, thanks to those who helped my with my "TcpIp" a few threads down. Now that it is working, I'm having a problem with my Internet Explorer interfacing with my IP. I have it set up just like my desktop. (I'm having the problem on my laptop) I'm able to log on fine, but that's it. Even my Outlook Express is not interfacing. Thanks for any help.

Freddy

PS I'm using Windows 98 on doth OSs.
    cybnut

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I'm sorry but what do you mean "interfacing"? You mean accessing the Internet? Could you give an example of it?

Are there proxy settings you need in your browser?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Well im not really enderstanding your qestion but there is this site i found and i think it might help you in you task try looking at this site i didn't have time to read it all but i think it will help
    -------------> http://www.yale.edu/pclt/COMM/TCPIP.HTM

Hope that helps.

I believe I have seen this problem before. If I understand you correctly, you are connected the Internet, but you cannot get any communication to take place. The best way to fix this is top record all your settings in Network Neighbourhood properties, and then remove all protocols and adapters. You must then go into the registry and remove all winsock keys. (do a search for winsock in regedit) Make sure you do a backup of your registry before you make your changes. Reboot your PC, and restore your protocols and adapters in Network Neighborhood. Reboot your PC again, and everything should be okay.
    Good luck!
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

Re: Internet Explorer interfacing problem

Originally posted here by Fred Brown
    Hi,
    First, thanks to those who helped my with my "TcpIp" a few threads down. Now that it is working, I'm having a problem with my Internet Explorer interfacing with my IP. I have it set up just like my desktop. (I'm having the problem on my laptop) I'm able to log on fine, but that's it. Even my Outlook Express is not interfacing. Thanks for any help.

Freddy

PS I'm using Windows 98 on doth OSs.

Yea, this question is kinda vague but I'm understanding it to mean that basically, nothing is happening in Internet Explorer when you try to surf the Internet? If so, it may mean a number of things. The advice Algaen gave you may work, depending on what exactly your problem is. Do you know for sure if you have an active connection to the Internet? Can you ping other sites, say www.antionline.com or www.yahoo.com? If you can't ping any site, then you are most likely not even connected to the Internet? If you are connected to the Internet, can you view webpages using other browsers such as Mozilla or Netscape? (if you have any of those installed...) Depending on your problem, it may be as simple as reinstalling Internet Explorer (6.0 SP1), with all the latest patches and such... If you can explain your problem a little bit more clearly that will most certainly help...

Talking

Hey,
    Thanks very body for the help. I got it working with alot of help from Algaen. Thanks. I've decided to use Mozilla. I read that it's better than Internet Explorer. I'll have to work with it and see.

It's Freddy time
    cybnut

Lightbulb

Sorry for posting after a thread has been resolved but I thought I could offer some insight. What Algaen suggests will work, but it is the long way arround and you are doing things that aren't necessary. From my experince uninstalling DUN from add remove programs (windows setup tab), rebooting and reinstalling DUN works everytime.
    Dain Bramaged