Thread: Hexadecimal Editor

Hexadecimal Editor

We have recently been testing a disk wiping utility called DBAN , and it seems to be working pretty well. The only "setback" is that you can only erase/wipe one disk at a time. This is not of much concern since we have nothing but time to get the inactive disks wiped; however, it would definitely be nice to be able to do that.

Now, for my question - I would like to know if anyone knows of any free hex editors out there. Before you respond, I have one stipulation: I need it to be on bootable media or in some sort of bootable format. Winhex is nice, but you have to have a Windows OS running. The whole point of this is to try and view information on disks that have been wiped with DBAN.

Any help would be appreciated. I found a page with a few links, and I am currently checking into them, but if you guys/gals know any good ones, let me know.

Thanks,

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Hey Hey

check out this link for a few pieces of good software. http://members.cox.net/dos/disk2.htm

I used Norton Disk Edit last semester at school while working in dos and it was a GREAT program, but I doubt you'll find a free copy of it floating around.

Find this old program called DiskManager. I put it on a Windows98 Boot disk and I have the ability to make low level disk editing.

Banned
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downr...s_assorted.htm There are a few editors in the <-- URL I think one of them there works on multiple OS. They also have some other interesting things hopefully you won't get 404

Thanks gang. I will start looking into the links and info you have provided.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

vi always works.

%!xxd to convert to hex.
    ie.
    :%!xxd

and

%!xxd -r to convert back
    ie.
    %!xxd -r
    then all you need to do is find a mini distribution even knoppix would do you nicely, since it a full install...