What OS ??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What OS ??

What OS ??

Well I want to have a server at my home only for some things.. so what OS do you think is the best for install on my second box?

Tell me the version if possible...and the advantages...

Thank you!
    neowarez

What do you want to use the server for? what are you most comfortable with.Also what does your ISP allow and disallow.. my isp blocks all SMTP connectiosn that aren't to their server, so it took me a while to get software that would let me work around that.. because i run a mail server out of my home.
    My home server right now is Win XP w/ Apache w/ PHP, MySQL and Perl, GuildFTPd and MailEnable Server.. I require win for certain applications for school hence the windows server... if you want to go with the *nix field.. I ran FreeBSD before school started as my server and prior to that my old P 100 was running Mandrake 7.1 as a server.

It dependso n what you want, what you need and what else you will use the box for... If you want something that you can telnet into and have full access you need a *nix box... MS "telnet" service sux ass
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Linux, if you are a newbie to linux, i would suggest Red Hat 8, or Mandrake 9, they are the easiest to install.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

Well my idea is to install freebsd but I only want to know if it differs very much form linux....

And on the box I want to have apache, pop3, smtp, mysqld, php, perl... etc...

And my ISP doesnt have any restritons.. ( I know I am bad in english)

Thanks!!!

can you tell me the most stable release of freebsd ... ??

Thanks .
    neowarez

BSD is in many ways superior to other linux distros, If you feel up to installing it, that's admirable. www.freeBSD.org has ftp links and will label the latest stable release(s)
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

Well I will install FreeBSD 4.7 because it seems to be the best stable release...

But someone can tell me if its more hard to install than some distros of Linux??

Thanks.
    neowarez

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I installed FreeBSD 4.7 about two months ago for the first time. After being familar with RH, Yellow Dog and Solaris installs I figured it'd be a piece of cake. For the most part it was. After I RTFM Hehe.

Seriously, it's not that hard. Just pay attention to what you are doing and read what FreeBSD has on their site about installing. Should go smoothly then.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

FreeBSD is not that hard to install, but it takes a lot of time (there are a LOT of packages)... The harder part comes to configuring it... that's where i'm having problems... Seems like IT doesen't like me very much

LOL...

Well I have a friend that try to install FreeBSD 4.7 and he dont copy the images floppys bacause a error that say error input/output...

DO you know what is??

Can I have the same problem??

Neo
    neowarez

Just download the ISO from their FTP and burn that to a CD. This should bypass the floppy problem untill you need a recovery / quick boot disk...
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/