Thread: The Demise of Common Sense

The Demise of Common Sense

I felt this simply needed to be shared incase it's not already gracing everybodies inbox.

The Demise of Common Sense:

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, Common Sense.
    Common Sense lived a long life, but died in the United States
    from heart failure early in the new millennium.

No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records
    were lost long ago in bureaucratic red tape. He selflessly
    devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, and
    factories, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and
    foolishness.

For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits
    held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with
    cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come
    in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that
    life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies
    (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting
    strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and
    it's okay to come in second.

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression,
    and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived
    cultural and educational trends including body piercing,
    whole language, and "new math." But his health declined
    when he became infected with the If-it-only-helps-one-person-
    it's-worth-it" virus.

In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for
    the ravages of well intentioned but overbearing regulations.
    He watched in pain as self-seeking lawyers ruled good people.

His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly
    implemented zero tolerance policies.
    Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment
    for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of
    mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an
    unruly student only worsened his condition. It declined even
    further when schools had to get parental consent to administer
    aspirin to a student but could not inform the parent when a female
    student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments
    became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals
    received better treatment than victims, and federal judges
    stuck their noses in everything from the Boy Scouts to professional
    sports.

When an individual, too stupid to realize that a steaming cup
    of coffee was hot, was awarded a huge settlement, Common
    Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic
    but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable
    regulations such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs,
    stepladders and auto emissions.

Common Sense finally succumbed when, while the United States
    was fighting a war on terrorism, a federal judge declared the
    Pledge of Allegiance to be unconstitutional.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth
    and Trust; his wife Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and
    his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepsiblings: My Rights,
    and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was
    gone.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    All I can say is....thank you!

Who wrote that??

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

you should also mention the early 19th century passing of his grandfather common decency, whom he thuroughly looked up to.. speaking of Common sense and Obituaries. I have a bit of a bitch session to lay off on you guys... I live near Tulsa, the main paper here is the tulsa world, i dont know about where you live. I think the United States must be the only place in the world in which this **** makes sense.... Mr Rogers entertained and educated children for 32 years. He DIED. he was on the second page of the Tulsa World. Saddam Hussein sat at home and did NOTHING. and made the first page with an "update on the situation in Iraq" which is really newspeak for "a repeat of all the same crap we've heard already."
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

This seems appropriate for the time. x acidreign x, you're familiar with Oklahoma's lottery issue? OK House legislators, to those of you who don't know, voted down a state lottery for Oklahoma that other than administration costs and payout costs all the profits would go to education in Oklahoma. Our schools REALLY need it, but Common Sense (tm) doesn't exist in our legislature, considering the most recent polls here are saying that over three quarters of respondents to polls are in favor of the lottery...
    /flame

Had to get that out, it's been bugging me all day..
    Have you filled out an ID-10-T or PEBKAK form lately?

You want to talk common sense.. look at Canada's new gun laws... People had to register their firearms (but only long barrel weapons) by the end of the year. This is where the stupidity comes in.. or the lack of Common Sense.... Handguns already had to be registered and liscensed, and to buy a shotgun or rifle you had to have a liscence and register it when you purchased it.. The problem is governments are only interested in making money...

We have speakers corner here (boths set-up at various locations where you can go, push a record button and make a 60 second commercial on your views, that are aired as commercials and on a show also called speakers corner) I saw the best one today. Two girls went up to the camera and said "Just wanted to say that if Canada goes to war, good bye boys, we won't miss you" That was the most brilliant thing I've ever heard.. more of us should be saying that.. if we all said good riddance to the people that want to make war, maybe they'd wake up and realize they've lost all their common sense...

And while we're on the subject.. I have to take a class @ College.. They call it Professional Development... we all call it common sense.. It's about working in Teams this semester, last semesters was how to conduct yourself in business, what to say, what not to say, what constitutes sexual harrassment, how different cultures look at things differently. Nothing but Common sense... and a waste of time.

There's my rant for tonight.

according to http://www.nmt.edu/~armiller/commonsen.htm, the author is unknown. it is posted on several pages, all have author unknown. KorpDeath also posted the same thread about a year ago.

if we all said good riddance to the people that want to make war, maybe they'd wake up and realize they've lost all their common sense...
    HTRegz, i've read some of your other anti-war screed on the AO pages, and this type of thoughtlessness is beneath even you. so when your fellow countrymen take up the cause of their nation and follow orders to engage in a dangerous military mission, your response is "good riddance?" i think you need some common courtesy and some more respect.

Moby.... perhaps that is a very disrespectful post.... don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of pride for my country. I truely believe Canada is the best country and if we go to war.. I will support the members of the Canadian Armed Forces...but until that day I will do everything in my power (however little it may be) to try and change peoples minds.

I have a friend in the Canadian Military, I know how under prepared our armed forces are.. After a 2 week training session in Hand-to-hand combat, it took me less than two minutes to have him on the ground and incapacitated. I'd hate to see him in combat with the enemy, so If i have to stand outside an armed forces base and call them all a bunch of war mongers... I'll do it.. but don't get me wrong, if and when the time comes, I'll full support my country.