Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh no, another Research Paper, can you help?

Oh no, another Research Paper, can you help?

Have you been caught "hacking" -- even though you were trying to do the "right thing?"

Howdy Everyone,

I'm finally writing that LAST (CapStone) paper for school. It needs to be on a controversial subject, with opposing points of view, plenty of research material available, and able to be applied to an ethical or moral theory (Kant, Aristotle, relativism, absolutism, etc.).

So, I'm doing a twist on a tired and old topic: Ethical Hacking. In that I believe if someone finds a security hole someplace, they are somewhat obligated to report it -- AND should NOT be put in jail for it! Or, they should not be threatened when they point out idiodicy like holding down the shift key to bypasses a lame copyright scheme.

I'm interested in some interviews, personal stories, testimonies, referrals (blogs, home pages, etc.) that will help with the insider view.

I'm not interested in stories of people finding issues, then extorting the company; but those stories of where someone stumbled across something, but either didn’t report it out of fear – or did report it and got into legal trouble. That’s my angle, the guy (or gal) that isn’t necessarily out looking for stuff, but finds it nonetheless, and wants to tell someone about it so it can be fixed.

Please email me off-line: mykol@austin.rr.com if you’re interested.

Thanks!
    Mike

well google is always good friend and helping find what u looking for but here are some sites that most people know and they help too......

www.microsoft.com
    www.symantec.com

but there is lots of stuff on this site that can help and find faster.....

ok

peace

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    WTF, Mate! That had absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread!
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

honestly hodzic, for the love of donuts, what in the name of god could you find out about ethical hacking on microsofts site? and symantec's too? better start posting better or this account will turn out like your last one, asmir....

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

damn people i was joking around...... damn people chill......

peace

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Sorry, Bro! Just thought ya were posting nonsense to be an a$$. My bad!
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

its aight........

Interesting. Well If i was you i'd get my hands on some books called "Hacker's Challenge". They deal with real-life scenarios of attacks on different corporations. They show in detail the way the attack occured and how it was dealt with by the admins. Really interesting and usefull books to read. They might give you more insight into hacking, perhaps give u some ideas to add to your paper.

Good Luck,

BTW: Please, do not put titles to your threads that have nothing to do with the thread itself. They piss people off and you wont have a very nice experience here at AO

I am not sure if this is quite what you are looking for:

http://www.grc.com

Gibson Research Corporation, if the link works OK.

Read the account of the denial of service attack on Gibson's site. He used what I would consider hacking techniques to defend his site? like finding the private chat room where one of the guys was manipulating his bots?

It is an interesting read, and relates to a business rather than an individual (although GRC does seem to be a bit of a one man band from the philosophy viewpoint )

Hope this helps

Haven`t we discussed this many times already? there should be quuite a few threads on this subject, so I`m not sure if that is a 'twist' on an old topic, rather , that is in fact the old topic.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes