Mail Spoofing Find
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail Spoofing Find

Mail Spoofing Find

I was playing on MailStart.com this afternoon and found out they allow you to Spoof your sending name. However, it does put your IP address in the header. So, this shows you how easy it is for someone to spoof your account and have you get blamed for it.

(this is meant to make people aware, and inform them of how this happens and how easy it is.) If this can be taken in the wrong context please PM me ASAP and I'll take it down!

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Re: Mail Spoofing Find

Originally posted here by Info Tech Geek

(this is meant to make people aware, and inform them of how this happens and how easy it is.) If this can be taken in the wrong context please PM me ASAP and I'll take it down!
    Don't worry about it or let it keep you from posting. All knowledge IS taken in the wrong context at one time or another. All you can do is trust that the people you share your knowledge with with use it responsibly. That's the nature of the beast...
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

I was playing on MailStart.com this afternoon and found out they allow you to Spoof your sending name.
    I think there are several other sites out there that allow you to do this too. You can even do it from your own mail server... They can also find an unprotected mail server to use as their relay... Spammers have proven time and time again.

However, it does put your IP address in the header
    Well, if they use a public access point or a proxy... then it will be that much harder (not impossible) to track down. Chain the proxy... and you've made it almost impossible. Especially if you are going through several countries.

(this is meant to make people aware, and inform them of how this happens and how easy it is.)
    The same applies to ALL my posts.
    That is why this site is here... hackers know the weakness in your systems... shouldn't you?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

actually if you pay attention to RFC 821 or the Simple Mail Transport Protocol Technical reference. You could easily forge an e-mail to or from anyone you want. But i believe that the server's capture your hostname and ip address and include that information into the headers of the e-mail...

when you get a chance sometime try this..

telnet your.isp.smtp.server 25
    helo your.isp.smtp.server
    mail from: god@pearlygates.com
    rcpt to: yourusername@yourisp.here
    data
    date: 25 dec 2003 00:00:00
    subject: This may be a little late but...
    to: yourusername@yourisp.here

yourusername,
    It's I know it's a little late to tell you but I just had a child. Be happy for me.

God

That last . (period) is necessary to send the msg, everything after data will be included into the e-mail until it reads a . (period) on a line by itself followed by a <crlf> (enter/return key)...

congrats, you just had god send you a notice of his son's birth... if you believe that is.. all assuming that you used the correct values in place of my fake info up there...

btw, I don't mean to offend anyone, this was just the first thing that came to mind as i typed this.. If I did offend, please forgive me.

hey tell me some sites that do that
    i dont find any normally they say relaying not allowed
    when was the last time you did something for the first time! Do something!!

hey tell me some sites that do that
    i dont find any normally they say relaying not allowed
    when was the last time you did something for the first time! Do something!!

As has been said already you dont need to use someone elses sever either use/install the one that comes with your computers os, (win2k(pro) and up or linux) or get on off the internet. set up your phony account in outlook exp. using the server name "localhost" in your pop and smtp settings (noteyou cant receive pop unless you have a pop server). but if you must use someone elses check the headers of the spam you get their all not relayed but many are.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

As has been said already you dont need to use someone elses sever either use/install the one that comes with your computers os, (win2k(pro) and up or linux) or get on off the internet. set up your phony account in outlook exp. using the server name "localhost" in your pop and smtp settings (noteyou cant receive pop unless you have a pop server). but if you must use someone elses check the headers of the spam you get their all not relayed but many are.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

admins turn off relaying so that people can't offload their outbox full of spam onto their servers. They do it to keep their systems from getting overloaded with garbage, and stop people from forging mail from their network to other people. Usually open relay's end up in the blackhole lists which would mean that nobody would accept mail from that server after it hits that list. Meaning that that person/company would no longer be able to host their own smtp server...

so, don't go looking, and if you do and find somthing, let that company know that it's open so they can fix it.

admins turn off relaying so that people can't offload their outbox full of spam onto their servers. They do it to keep their systems from getting overloaded with garbage, and stop people from forging mail from their network to other people. Usually open relay's end up in the blackhole lists which would mean that nobody would accept mail from that server after it hits that list. Meaning that that person/company would no longer be able to host their own smtp server...

so, don't go looking, and if you do and find somthing, let that company know that it's open so they can fix it.