pondering a question

Thread: pondering a question

Question pondering a question

I was on the phone with a friend and somehow we got on the topic of strange questions to ponder, when she asked "Why is it called Surfing the Web?" Wouldnt you "crawl" a web instead of "surfing" one? I got to thinking about this, and I've been wondering about it all evening. Does anyone else have any theories or actual proof of how the phrase "Surfing the Web" was coined or why its called "surfing"?
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I was told it was coined by a librarian who had a mousepad with a surfer or surfing scene on it....something like that. It's been a while since I heard the story.

EDIT: Here is a site about her. Jean Armour Polly

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Allow me search it for you, here it is...

surf - a whatis definition

In using the World Wide Web, to surf is to either:
    1) Explore a sequence of Web sites in a random, unplanned way, or
    2) Simply use the Web to look for something in a questing way.

As the term is ordinarily used, if you are going to one specific site you already know about, you aren't surfing. The term suggests an analogy between surfing ocean waves with a surfboard and surfing cyberspace.
    Mathgirl32 is right, Jean Armour Polly is credited with inventing the phrase "surfing the Internet". Read her interview.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

er0k
    blah its just a damned saying! just like "A penny for your thoughts" but you have to put your "Two cents in" someones gaining a penny! -steven or stephen wright

The term "Surfing the Web" reminds me to a sci-fi novel written 1975 by John Brunner titled "The Shockwave Rider".

It's the story of the Superhacker Nick, who in fight with a cruel government repeatedly changes his idendity.

May be that this is not the reason why it is called "Surfing the Web", but I think it has been a remarkable vision almost 30 years ago.

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    It definitely has to with the fact that silicon valley is in california.
    Everyone surfs there.
    Period.

That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Kinda on "tv surfing"

Like when you flip from web page to webpage, its called channel surfing... same deal with websites

Originally posted here by King of CaveMen
    Kinda on "tv surfing"

Like when you flip from web page to webpage, its called channel surfing... same deal with websites
    yes, i was surfing the TV channels long before i learned how to type... of course now i don't even own a TV (it's against my religion)... anyway- take it easy

and they do call it crawling (when you refer to a Spider/App)
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Or like 'spending a penny'. Is this the same penny one might use to buy your thoughts ?

Originally posted here by er0k
    blah its just a damned saying! just like "A penny for your thoughts" but you have to put your "Two cents in" someones gaining a penny! -steven or stephen wright
    [glowpurple]$ _[/glowpurple]