Mapped drives

Thread: Mapped drives

Banned

Mapped drives

I have a fellow employee that is trying to tell me that NT 4.0 and WIN 2000 server only allow a max of 10 users to map to the same drive. I'm telling him that this is false and that it depends on the user license supplied with the software. Can somebody confirm this please? Thank you...

You are correct. It depends on the licensing.

Most m$ server packages either come with 5 or 10 client licenses... from there, you have to purchase more (open licenses I think they are called now) and add them using the license manager.

Otherwise you should see some license manager alerts in your event viewer.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

you both correct guys .. me here use win 2000 with more than 24 clients in my office .. and it is right .. depend on the licenses .. try to contact the microsoft site http://www.microsoft.com

When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Allow me to take this a step further......

If my memory serves me this would entirely depend upon the method of licensing you chose. If you chose a per server license system then the restriction will be applied. If you chose the per seat licensing then the server has to assume that the client is, in fact, licensed for any number of servers. I am unsure whether this would be true in a Win2k domain with it's license logging system but it was certainly true in WinNT.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

If you chose the per seat licensing then the server has to assume that the client is, in fact, licensed for any number of servers. I am unsure whether this would be true in a Win2k domain with it's license logging system but it was certainly true in WinNT.
    I've never been too clear on the licensing, as I don't really deal with that too much. That is upper managements job...

If you only have a few m$ servers, wouldn't it make more sense to use per server licensing?

If you have mostly m$ servers you would use per seat licensing?

I think the licensing is the same for 2k.

I hate how m$ does their licensing. You need a license for everyone who is going to access your file server, then you need one for everyone who is going to access the exchange server, then you need one for each operating system. Then you need one for each e-mail client... it rediculous how much licensing you need. Not to even mention the new open licensing deal... what a crock!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.