Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winxp network problem

Unhappy winxp network problem

I tried to setup a home network 3 computers 2 desktops 1 laptop. all running xp and a d/l router ran the winxp network wizard but nothing shows up when i click network places. when I click show workgroup computers I get a popup win 'network unavailable check with network admin workgroup computers unavailable.' yadda yadda yadda. does anyone have ideas on how i can get the network up and running. I did a search of the AO forums but could not find a solution hope you can help

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What are you using to connect the computers together? Hub? Switch? Cross-over cables?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I'm trying to connect them through the router is that possible

yeah its possible, by d/l do you mean D Link router? If not what brand? Are any of the computers getting IPs? How about the router is it getting its IP? your not pluggin the computers into the uplink port are you? I know with linksys routers you cant use the port next to the uplink if you are using the uplink either. dont know why.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Thumbs up

Just go in control panel, Network and install protocol for your Network(TCP/IP and IPX/SPX) on all computer for give all acces for web and Intranet.

I'm trying to connect them through the router is that possible
    Assuming that your router has a built in hub/switch, then yes.
    If not, then you will have to output your router to a hub/switch.

You will have to use straight through cables or patch cables.

Either set static ips all on the same subnet, or use DHCP and set the workstations to grap their ip automatically... example.

router: ip: 192.168.0.1

pc1:
    ip: 192.168.0.2
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.0.1 (router address)

DNS may or may not be required. I would just put in the dns servers your ISP assignes you.

Do the same thing with the rest of your PCs. Just up the static number.
    pc2: 192.168.0.3 etc.

make sure that you are using the same workgroup. By default, windows calls it "workgroup".

If you are going to file share, you are going to have to have the same user ids and passwords on each computer.

If you have software firewalls, make sure to include your network number in the "trusted" list or you can do it on a per host basis. Your choice. In this case, you can use 192.168.0.0/24 as the network number.

Thats about it... Just make sure you have your router setup properly and not to open your network up to the world. Its always good to scan yourself and your network to see what you have going on.

If you can't ping, make sure your NIC has the correct drivers. You can test that by pinging the loopback address... either localhost or 127.0.0.1
    Cables are also a good reason why it might not work. Make sure your cables are good.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

yes d/l = d-link 604 I get IP's on all computers and the router IP is 192.168.0.1 I don't have it plugged into the uplink port. I did have a linksys hub where the port next to the uplink had to be open but I don't think it does on the d-link router

Cosmos - I have tcp/ip and ipx/spx protocols setup on all 3 computers. any other ideas

Phish - I am using dhcp and I can ping the other 2 computers on the router as well as the loopback 127.0.0.1

Make sure that all computer a have the same Workgroup Name exemple: MSHOME or another

They all have the same workgroup name

1) Make sure you are running the following services: (control panel =>administrative tools => services) Computer Browser, Workstation, Server (if listed), and Tcp/ip netbios helper.

2) Go to your network properties. Right click on network places, select properties. Select your interface, right click, properties.
    2a. Make sure you have client for microsoft networks installed
    2b. Select tcp/ip, click properties
    2b1. click advanced
    2b2. Click WINS, make sure enable TCP/ip over netbios is enabled
    2c. Save all
    3) Right click on my computer, properties, select network identification
    3a) click properties
    3b) Make sure that the workgroup selected is the same on all your computers

Save and reboot.

If after this, and you have given it a few minutes, you still don't see computers, try manually:

go to a computer, you want to connect to, bring up a command shell (select run and type 'cmd'):

type: ipconfig /all

This will show you that PC's IP.

Then go to the PC you wish to connect from, bring up a command shell:

Type:

net use * \\IP_Address_of_other_machine\(share you want to connect to) /useryour username on that pc)

(net view will let you browse shares)

Try: net /help
    or net view /help
    or net use /help

It will then prompt you for a password. Assuming your password is correct and that is a valid share, it mounts that share on the next available drive...

/nebulus

There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)