Thread: Linux Soundcard Help!!!

Linux Soundcard Help!!!

Hey Guys, THE ONLY place i come for really good advice.

Problem:
    Im runnign redhat 7.3. When i try to play a MP3 it plays. But no sound!!!

I have 2 sound cards, one On board, and PCI sound blaster live!

linux sees both cards, the on board card is known as "unknown", i dont it to use the on board sound card. I want it to use my sound blaster live card.

Question: How do i set this up? How do I disable this "uknown " sound card? And how will i be able to play my Mp3's on my machine! thank you very much hope this all helps. !!!
    Im Chris Bartholomew - 18 Years old

TSeNg
    questions? Cxbartholomew@yahoo.com

/me tries to remember...

you'll probably need to disable the onboard sound in the bios, then have you tried to run sndconfig from the console?...

i'll try and remember more, and post what i come up with

This site might help you with your problems
    http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...%2F81l04%2Easp

Hope it does.

that link might help, except it doesn't have any references to articles about linux or soundcards. so, in a way, it doesn't really help at all. maybe you should take the advice you give in your signature, banana.

Tseng, if you disable the onboard device and try to use sndconfig to configure your soundblaster, you're going to need some detailed information about your soundcard like IRQ, I/O and DMA numbers and such. that info is probably in the manual. do a google search and you will probably find some internet or usenet posts on the subject.

Blah, just to play some Mp3's.....
    Im Chris Bartholomew - 18 Years old

TSeNg
    questions? Cxbartholomew@yahoo.com

yea, i have red hat 8.0 i have the same problem. i have an onboard sound, and sb live. inboard is disabled in the bios, but rh still picks up both of them. i cant play any sound. however, even when the onboard is disabled in bios, i get a looping sound through the onboard after boot? its really weird and i couldnt figure it out.

whatever it is they havent fixed from 7.3 to 8.0

if anyone has any suggestions please let me/us know
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Hey,

Why don't you try to look at the following url, they really have tons of linux questions answered. I'd did a quick search on 'disable onboard sound', hope you find your card or problem between them,...

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...der=descending

Greetz,

***edit*** You could always do a more specific search there on your motherboard and/or soundcard..
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby