DNS Look Up

Thread: DNS Look Up

DNS Look Up

helloo guys.

here i want to ask you some question:
    my new server is Wearness DP 245 with Dual Processor Xeon 2.4 , 2 (two ) ethernet card (server adapter 10/100, and Realtek ) the Operating system is win2k advance server (sp3). i am so confuse to use those two ethernet card. i put the xxx.xxx.xxx.1 IP at server adapter and xxx.xxx.xxx.2 IP at realtech. i and all my clients default gateway set to the server adapter . i used domain not workgroup. the problem is . everytime i see the event viewer , there were so many warning , it said "DNS Look Up updated refuse" . i checked the DHCP from administrative tools and found nothing strange , and i already set up the server configure also. when i still used NT-4 there is a protocol which can mix both ethernet card into one . i am so confuse and try to look at the microsoft site and found nothing important.

need your help soon.
    When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

Ummm.

The two ethernet cards have IP's on different subnets correct? It sounds like the are on the same one.

If this is the case you will need to either disable one of the cards or change the subnet mask for one of the cards. Do you really need to NICS in the box? What do you have hooked up to it?

Lightbulb NIC's

I would use 192.168.1.1 as the lan card and 192.168.0.2 as the Wan if the next device is 192.168.0.1 downstream... assume netmask 255.255.255.0
    You should be able to log into the .0.1 device.
    Remember to set up the gateways IP addresses.
    You could use Bind-PE as a DNS on that monster server

Actually the same setup of most Linksys Routers as well....
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

I would use 192.168.1.1 as the lan card and 192.168.0.2 as the Wan if the next device is 192.168.0.1 downstream... assume netmask 255.255.255.0
    You should be able to log into the .0.1 device.
    Remember to set up the gateways IP addresses.
    You could use Bind-PE as a DNS on that monster server
    good suggestion mate .. i think it better now .. even i still found the damn warning in even viewer.

i read a book in my university library , it said you can mix two ethernet card into one and you can put only with an IP .. but the problem is , My server has different kind ( server adapter and realtek )of ethernet card. and the book said we can mix it into one only if we have 2 ethernet on same kind ( bo0k recomended server adapter for both ethernet ) .

so the solution must be complete now .. for right now i will follow "higlander " suggestion and will buy another ethernet ( server adapter ) .. and i just hope no more "WARNING" ..

thanks higlander.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by shadow_dancer
    i read a book in my university library , it said you can mix two ethernet card into one and you can put only with an IP .. but the problem is , My server has different kind ( server adapter and realtek )of ethernet card. and the book said we can mix it into one only if we have 2 ethernet on same kind ( bo0k recomended server adapter for both ethernet ) .
    This is usually called adapter teaming. It's used in high availability environments. That way when 1 networkcard (or the switch it's connected to) dies you do not lose connectivity. The teaming software switches over to the other card (hooked up to some other switch) and everybody stays happy.

that's correct mate .

This is usually called adapter teaming. It's used in high availability environments. That way when 1 networkcard (or the switch it's connected to) dies you do not lose connectivity. The teaming software switches over to the other card (hooked up to some other switch) and everybody stays happy.
    Teaming Modes are AFT, SFT, ALB, RLB, and EtherChannel

Features available Advanced Networking Software (ANS) include:

Fault Tolerance
    Uses one or more secondary adapters to take over for the primary adapter should the first adapter, its cabling or the link partner fail. Designed to ensure server availability to the network.

Link Aggregation
    The combining of multiple adapters into a single channel to provide greater bandwidth. This only works widens bandwidth to multiple destination addresses. ALB mode provides aggregation for transmission only while RLB and LA/FEC/GEC/3ad modes provide aggregation in both directions. FEC/GEC/LA/3ad modes require a matching aggregation capable switch, while ALB and RLB modes can be used with any switch.

Load Balancing
    The distribution of the transmission and reception load the among aggregated network adapters. An intelligent adaptive agent in the ANS driver repeatedly analyzes the traffic flow from the server and distributes the packets based on destination addresses. (In LA/FEC/GEC/3ad modes, the switch similarly provides load balancing on incoming packets.)
    here to see the full information .. thanks alot for ur respons.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    About NIC fault tolerance in WinNT see the following technet article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b171415