Bypass a "restricted website" sign.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bypass a "restricted website" sign.

Bypass a "restricted website" sign.

I know, it's my first post. I'm a newbie. Laugh at me. Here's my question:

I'm working at a high-school for journalism class, and the provider for our website is permanantly out of service so we've decided to move the site to our local server. Most of our website team doesn't know HTML to well, and instead of me teaching it to them in its entirety, they've decided that geocities or a similar page-builder is the best solution. The problem is,however, that the school has geocities and most homepage websites blocked for student access. I know there are ways to bypass this, I've seen them before. Do you think you could offer me your expertise?

Thank You.

Andy "disposablehero" Posterick
    -Disposable Hero-

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Why not speak to the admin of the network about allowing the website address and block the rest rather than trying to circumvent the rules and get into trouble?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Freeserve.

Freeserve offer a very easy to use Sitebuilder.

I used it to throw together a few site.

The url is http://mysite.freeserve.com

An example of a page using the templates.

Http://mysite.freeserve.com/jokebook

You are right there ways, but possible methods will allow you to view anything on the internet. And there are meny things that should be blocked on a school internet. So I would follow mSMittens advice

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"

also to add- your local (school's) admin won't be able to help you at all...
    most school proxies (like bess) are run from downtown, by and admin who actually know's what he/she is doing... and rest-assure he won't grant you any special privileges (this was my case , in school... i ended up having to write a script to get around it, although that script wouldn't help you) anyway- try looking into other free-hosting servers, check out wich one's are being denied/passed etc...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

I checked out the freeserve site and it may suit your needs better than geocities as it offers 30meg of space and virtually no personal info-

yeah- don't bypass school policy as i just went through a big hassle because they thought I may have (I didn't or at least not for what i was investgated for)
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

AntiOnline Newbie
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Why not speak to the admin of the network about allowing the website address and block the rest rather than trying to circumvent the rules and get into trouble?
    Have to echo those sentiments -- nothing but trouble here.

Find another s/w package (as suggested earlier) that will work without causing an incident for you and your team. Better to work within the rules than find yourself out of work altogether.

Plus I know if you have something like "BESS" (stupid dog) as your web filter, usually there is a link on the BESS page that comes up when a site is blocked. If you happen to stay with Geocities, or it blocks whoever you use for a web site provider, then maybe you should try sending a message to the web filter service used by your school and requesting them to unblock that site because it is actually for educational purposes.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Unless those restrictions are set by some particularly smart way you should be able to bypass them by using a proxy... A list of free proxies can be found here: http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp.../Proxies/Free/
    But as the others already stated it would be much easier to discuss about the situation with the admin. He should understand to either loosen the restrictions or set up some other system for your site.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Yes but that is not exactly the point here, getting around a filtering system or security system is breaking rules which equals bad news. Especially with this being a school activity, going about using proxies to get around secuirty or anything would probably end up in a student or students being kicked out of the program and could also cause other negative affects. If these kids have worked hard on their sites, then why loose all that by doing something when there are more logical and rash ways of going about dealing with the simple issue at hand?
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]