Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wireless insecurity... report?

from what i know of you. your upstanding and honest. im sure the staff at your school has that impression as well BUT you can never be certain of someones reaction or if there are any facts unknown to you that might cause them to hit the ceiling, maybe they became aware of someone actually breaking in...whatever. its just not worth what an accusation can do to your life. dont take any foolish chances. do the right thing but do it anonymously. if that dosnt bring change...chalk'em :-) to do the right thing without the motivation of reward (appreciation not money) is a much greater act.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Computer Forensics
    how anonymous is really anonymous guys.....**** that..you have nothing to hide, man up and tell them. don't hide from it, that only implicates you.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

go do the unknown sender email thing. just make sure you're not sending the email from a computer there inside the school grounds. they might see the IP and identify it to come from the school. then they'll check the logs of students who used the PC's. then they'll see it was you. :P

just use a PC outside school grounds

(long explanation just to say something so short...weird ain't it?)

Two things that may be a factor.

1) The SysAdmins may not even know the WAP's are there and may be extremely grateful that you point it out to them. Though it sounds improbible, I assure you it isn't. Users will do some crazy stuff without clearing it with the technology overlords. Where I work, a small department with their own budget decided to go out and buy 12 machines and build their own network without telling anyone! I found out about it when the lady called complaining that she couldn't get to the internet. Strange but true.

2) The SSID's might be broadcast deliberately. According to a vendor I met with the other day, Henrico County Public Schools in Richmond, VA, deliberately broadcasts their SSID. They figure that they are being funded publicly, so they have some wierd responsibility to provide public access. I'm told (mind you, this is heresay) that people park there after hours and on the weekends with their 802.11 compliant laptops and surf away.

Just food for thought.

Thank you all for your input.

I have sent an annonymous e mail and wil give them about a week until I take further action.
    Which may or may not involve "chalking".

I'm just happy that I can post on AO again. I was having some major problems on my home network and it seems to be mostly resolved... now I have a whole new set of problems...

but... istn't that the way it always works?

Thanks again!

Computer Forensics
    thread_killer: to backup what you are saying. NYC has a ton of freeaccess Wireless networks. www.nycwireless.net . Other cities/areas may have them as well.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

That's cool phishphreek, it's a good way to start. Keep us updated on what's going on!
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Djay is right buddy .
    as u can see that i am a newbie but common sence says do it anonymously may be mail from
    a new account that u will never again use or anything but certainly not tell them directly or from a telephone booth.