Virtual Bouncer?????

Thread: Virtual Bouncer?????

Banned

Virtual Bouncer?????

I just want to warn everyone about a program called 'The Virtual Bouncer', yesterday i was surfin the net and i was on some sites like CKY.com and Islandrecords.com and all of a sudden i got a pop-up saying that my security setting were low and that i should install the Virtual Bouncer by clicking yes, i clicked no, it gave me another warning about my computer but i clicked no again, then ten minutes later i was just on Hotmail or somethin and the Virtual Bouncer popped up again but this time it had installed itself onto my computer and was continuing to protect my computer from unwanted content. Needless to say i uninstalled it pretty fast.
    I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this program and whether it is safe or not.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Umm.. Never seen anything like that but have seen variations on other parasitic stuff/ads. Generally, those that use Windows and IE tend to be affected by this. http://www.computing.net/security/ww...orum/3884.html

That said, what's the attachment about?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

as long as you let active-x and java scripts run whenever they want this is going to happen.

you should really set them to prompt you for permission before they run. disable install on demand as well. it takes a little more work to surf this way because you have to allow or stop every script you come accross. but if that program is your only concern go to the site that pops up the warning, view the source to find the address it loads from and add the offensive site to your hosts file. if the d/l address if ""http://www.offensive.com/cgi-bin/whatever" in the hosts file you add "127.0.0.1 offensive.com" this way when the java script trys to make your computer download the program your computer will look on your hard drive for it and not find it.

really if this is happening to you your security settings are too low.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

one little note... you should alwasy check dialog boxes that popup on your computer for an x (close) button on the top right... dialogs don't have it... NEVER click inside the window of a so-called dialog box if it has a close button.
    what probably happened was that that software's installer masq'd itself as a warning, by clicking NO you were oking the install.. Windows requires the user intervention, but does not say what the msg's have to say...

or am i just way off base here?

Banned
    Well thanks anyway but there wasnt an x in the top corner or a close button. I am getting sick of all this kinda crap of software installing itself onto your computer. Is there any laws against this???

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Unfortunately, no. What some of the companies have done is changed thier terms of service to suggest the following: by visiting their site or seeing their website/ad you agree to everything, including installation. I think it was Gator but can't remember who specifically had this:

http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?...6954&area=news

These two articles talk about one such parasite that pissed me (and evidentally a few other netizens off) as it installed without me even knowing it (it's installation came from behind the browser and I didn't even click on the ad):

http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...,57553,00.html

http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...,57467,00.html

While some of it is the fault of the company creating the parasitic ad, I believe that some of the fault lies with Microsoft. I don't seem to have these issues when I surf on a non-Microsoft platform. When companies like Microsoft start "making things easier for the user" it has some of the worst effects. They seem to assume that people on the Internet will "play nice".

Microsoft needs to take responsibility for this as much as the parasitic firms.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage