Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hacking lab

I am not sure which route I should go but I will think about it. What are the cons of setting up this mini network if any. Thanks

The only real con is that you would lose your internet connectivity while you are disconnected from the schools network. Other than that, you also get the experience of doing your own home networking, which is always an added bonus.. everything else would function the same...

Sorry guys, I totally forgot but I might be able to get a 3rd box. We have an older one that I am pretty sure I can get working. It is slow as hell but should work. I believe it has 2000 on it.
    I have to have the internet in my apartment. So does having this 3rd box change my options. Could I set two of them up on a mini network and then keep one connected to the internet?

You could.... one possible option would be to put 2 NICs in one of the computers
    you could have this setup

Campus Network ------ Computer with 2 NICs ------- Switch --------- Other 2 Computers

You could have your own functioning lan and the computer connected to the compus network could be your older box running *nix... set-up as a firewall... to give you a bit more security and then you'd have your other two computers to play with... and also you could take them online..........

There are several ways to do it.. you could also have your main computer on the compus network and the other two hooked up with a crossover cable as their own LAN like you said...

I will definetly try one of those options. This will be my first time using a switch and networking computers together but I should learn alot. If I run across any problems I will post them and try to get them fixed. I am thankful for all the advice and help you all have given me, its members like you two that make AO a great place to be and ask questions. Later

coVert

Thread_killer, I would glad if you can provide me with some of your IP addresses, I really need to check-out my scanning and penetration ability. I promise to be easy. Thanks. bashell

Idea

I'm not sure how it would go with your admin, but setting up a honeypot would prove to be a very interesting and worth while excursion. Honeypots work similar, they're vulnerable, they get "hacked" the crackers get logged.. (their every move) and analyzed.

Wow, this came out of left field..