Thread: Remote Connection-2

Remote Connection-2

I HAVE TWO LAPTOPS BOTH WITH DIFFERENT IP ADDRESSES. HOW CAN I USE ONE TO CONNECT TO THE OTHER, USING REMOTE CONNECTION, WHAT PROGRAM IS BEST TO USE. BOTH LAPTOPS ARE RUNNING WIN2K AND XP. PLEASE EXPLAIN IN DETAILS. THANKS

I would download an open ssh server for each and also a client. I use them between my windows boxes nd linux instead of samba.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

Um you need to read alot, what kind of hardware ae you using? Do you have NIC's in both machines or are you setting up a direct connection through parallel ports etc. .if your going through the parallel ports, windows has it's own direct connection manager. . .if you connecting through cards. . .the world is your oyster, go to google and do some searches, you'll find a lot of different progs you can use. . .

There are quite a few options that you can use.

If you want to connect just to run some commands and access files, then you will probably want to look at SSH. As EaseZE stated, you will need to install both an SSH server and client on each machine.

However, if you want to access your desktop remotely, then you may want to try something like TightVNC (Virtual Network Computing) or RemotelyAnywhere.

or....remote desktop, comes with XP, and can be installed on 2k with your XP cd.....easy as Pie, it's like loging onto it while your infront of it :P

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

get rid of xp and run both on 2000 ... if you dont when u start file sharing and ****, you will run into conflicts because they are on different file systems...

In Windows 2000 and Windows XP you have an option of Using the NTFS or FAT 32 File system. If both are using NTFS then you should have no problem.

As far as accessing the other computer I would suggest using a SSH or a Program like PC Anywhere, or one of the other programs mentioned above.

If you read the Microsoft EULA you MUST use remote desktop to access a Win xp system You're violating the EULA if you use VNC or other 3rd party app.

fyi

Actually, local file system is irrelevant. It doesn't matter wether the computers are running NTFS, FAT, ext3 or whatever combination. If it was true local file systems have to be the same, win9x systems couldn't be used in an NT domain. The only thing that matters is that the machines use the same networking protocol. As an example, this site is running Apache on Linux (according to netcraft). Does this prevent windoze, BSD, or Mac users from accessing it? The local file system most certainly isn't NTFS or FAT, but all these NTFS/FAT/Rieser/whatever FS-based computers out there can still see this site. All because they use network protocols that are common to all internet-connected PC's, namely TCP/IP and HTTP.

As for the best way to connect the 2 computers, well that depends on what you're trying to do, and how 'remote' the computers are from each other. If it's a LAN setting, what's wrong with the default windows networking? If it's say, across the internet, we really need more detail.

Well here's the thing. In Windows 2000 Advanced Server you can install "Terminal Service", which is basically the same thing as Remote Desktop in XP. Then you can use either machine to remote desktop into the other (that's what I use to do with my 2000 server).

As for file sharing and such, there should be no problem. Beryllium9 is totally correct in what he was saying. Plus seeing as the two machiens are running NT5 anyway, there is no problem... just to let you know. Networking is networking when you're on a LAN. And even if your on a WAN it's still possible, you just have a router/firewall to deal with then.

Now faust, you read the entire Microsoft EULA? That is odd that third party stuff would violate Microsoft EULA! But then again M$ is money hungry so I wouldn't be surprised!

But bashell, as for details you have to explain more about your setup. Are you wanting to be able to remote desktop from/to both laptops or from the 2000 to the XP, or just hte XP to the 2000... what?
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]