Nessus - GUI not fitting on my SCREEN

Thread: Nessus - GUI not fitting on my SCREEN

Nessus - weird problem with GUI

Whaaats Up!

I am running RedHat 7.3 and Gnome. On an old 'puter. I have the resolution to the highest settings my moniter can handle "14inch". I installed nessus 2.0.1, but when i run it, the screen comes up but it is 3 quaters cut off at the bottom i cant see the buttons near the bottom, even if i minmize it and nothing works and cant see the bottoms buttons of the GUI .I took off the borders on the NESSUS GUI, but nothing works --- soo i cant use nessus? I tryed this OPTION --- that was using my WINDOWS machine and SSH to the REDHAT machine and run nessus like that, but i get this error:

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

So i went to:
    and installed this on my windows machine:

But still no LUCK is there something else i can try? To get this to work?

<EDIT: This is the only program i have had problems like this on this machine>
    _Thanks Guys_

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Hehe.. Nessus requires you to have a fairly large screen space. When I played with it I had to set my resolution to 1024 x 768. They made their windows too large, IMHO, for the average user.

You asked me in a PM about getting SAINT. SAINT has gone hugely commercial so I'm gonna recommend a different but similar product. AFAIK, SARA is still free and kept up-to-date.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Washington D.C. area
    Hi guys.
    It's no secret that I am a big Nessus fan, but I always like to evaluate other securuty scanners. That being said, I decided to follow MsMittens link to the SARA download site. Keep in mind that I did a high level comparison, meaning I did not look into the inner workings of SARA, but instead just installed, ran the software and observed.

I downloaded SARA version 4.1.4b.
    I compiled it on RH Linux 7.3 with all all updates and the latest kernel.
    I went ahead and installed Netscape 7.0.1
    TARGET machine: W2K Server, locked down with the exception of anonymous FTP running and VNC server.

I first ran it with it's default settings and I picked "extreme" scan. It missed anything above the 1024 port range. Much like NESSUS, you need to really know what you're looking for to do an effective scan. Once I made some adjustments, it did see my VNC service (port 5900). I'd say, that the ability to find services is decent.

SARA requires X windows to run (which I personally don't like) while NESSUS does not.

SARA runs everything on the same system (which NESSUS does too) but they use a web browser for a console, which I like.

SARA has better reporting capabilities in relation to NESSUS. More specifically, the web based reports are much more viewer friendly in SARA

SARA appears to scan much faster than NESSUS, however, I may not have enabled all the SARA plugins so I will need more time with this

Overall, I would say that it all comes down to resources and preferences. If you like your scanner to reside all in one place and you have KDE, GNOME, etc. loaded then SARA may be the way to go for you. If you have 2 machines (my personal favorite way to scan) and you don't like to have an X window system loaded on your box, then NESSUS may be for you.

Hope this helps out.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden